1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dirty Butt Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Grand-hen-ma, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    One of my hens always has a dirty bottom. I have washed it several times and it still looks dirty-ish. I did notice her poop is solid, but has some clear water. The feathers on her belly, closer to her bottom, seem to be broken off too. She eats very well, drinks well and doesn't act sick. No discharge from her nose and she's still a little young to lay any eggs. I think next month she should start. I added a couple pictures to show what I am talking about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

2. Grand-hen-ma

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    anyone?

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I used to have an EE that had runny poops. And if we fed her melon or something like that on a hot day, look out. She never seemed to have a problem with it. Was a fabulous producer of green eggs and always seemed healthy and happy. I would scoop her up every other week or so when the weather was nice and watch off her downy butt feathers when it started to stick to her. She didn't like it the first time I did it but after that, always tolerated it w/ out a fuss.

I also gave her a big handful of meal worms after too so I'm sure that positive association helped.

So if she's fine otherwise, maybe just ignore it. You can trim her but feathers a bit if they are getting soiled to try and help keep those out of her way.

I think some chickens just process their water differently and some have more watery poops than others.

4. Grand-hen-ma

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Thanks for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by