Dirty chick butts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Momma on a Mission, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Momma on a Mission

Momma on a Mission Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Seymour, IN
    I'm new to this and need advice on how to clean a chicks rear end. I don't want to make her sick. Please advise me. [​IMG]

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    warm water and a paper towel works usually.

3. Momma on a Mission

Momma on a Mission Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Seymour, IN
    Thank you. That's what I thought too. Just needed reassuring. [​IMG]

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Do it often, so it doesn't dry caked on. Be wary of picking chunks of poop off, as their skin is so delicate you can tear it.

5. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    I used warm wet paper towels to loosen it and a warm wet toothpick to ease the pieces off the fluff / skin. Don't ever pull the pieces off - Clairabean is right. If it's particularly bad, you may have to hold the chick's butt a while in warm water.
    Good luck!

6. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

I know a lot of folks think I'm gross but I just get right in there with warm water and fingers. Patiently work that stuff lose and then dry that little butt the best I can. (Hands WELL washed after. [​IMG] )

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I hold mine under gently running water (just the rear end) after I test it on my wrist.

Then, I work away at it with my fingers like BarnGoddess. Then I paint the vent area with rooster booster pick no more lotion as the other chicks get very interested in pecking after a cleansing. Works great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by