dirty chicken bottoms

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cackilacky, Nov 7, 2009.

1. cackilacky

cackilacky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Okay, don't laugh at me for asking this, please! But 2 of my chickens have such dirty tushes. Is that normal? They also happen to be the layers of the bunch, so maybe that has something to do with it?

2. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I've often wondered the same thing. Wonder what the folks who know will say?

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have had this on a couple of my chickens also. Especially my BR.

I took the advise of someone here and took some scissors and trimmed her down feathers around her tush. (just a teeny bit, so I wouldn't hurt her) Worked fine and no more poopy rear!

4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Yep, had the same problem with my BSL and she is a great layer. It is a really good idea to get those nasty feathers off. Once I clipped them down she has not had any buildup. If the poo sits around it can attract flies and maggots, and other pests.

5. cackilacky

Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    oh, wow, not sure how to trim a chickens bottom, but might be worth a try! thanks for the replies. [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Just trim enough to get the poop off. Obviously, don't cut too close to the chicken's skin or vent.

If there's poop buildup by the vent, use a warm wash cloth to get it wet and it should come off. (don't pull it though)

7. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Mine haven't gotten their butts TOO nasty yet, but there have been a few with caked crud, from time to time. I just bring the dirty girl inside, get a warm wet washcloth and press it up against the vent and feather area (usually most comfortable if you put her on a towel on your lap). I usually have to rinse and wring out the cloth a few times, in hot water, and gradually the stuff gets loose and comes off. My girls usually start going to sleep - so it must be comfortable to get your butt washed! [​IMG]

Anyway, when I'm done washing them- if it's cold or windy outside -I'll pat them dry them with a towel and then use the blow dryer on medium/warm to finish drying their butt feathers completely before I take them back outside.

I call it my Hen Spa. [​IMG]

8. cackilacky

Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    You are one excellent chicken owner! How much do you charge? [​IMG]

9. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    hey i am not dirty okay lol

10. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    I bring my poopy butt to work and bath her, she doesn't mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by