1. SophiaRose

SophiaRose Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    The coop used to be our garden, so seeing the girls running around amongst the green was really beautiful. Of course, they grew up and kind of trampled everything (as chickens do). I know this is to be expected but I was wondering if there is any way to make the run a little more green or maybe decorated because the coop isn't anything special and the run is just all brown now. Thank you in advance!

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I only have a couple of suggestions. I am not sure if you mean that it used to be your vegetable garden or your garden (as in backyard!) but there may be some ways to "pretty it up." First, you can grow plants in and around if you protect them from pecking and scratching. Chicken wire shaped into a cage around a bush will protect it and the chickens will keep it neatly pruned. Large-ish stones around the base of the shrub will keep them from digging them up. You can plant vine or running roses on the outside and hang decorative artwork to add color and interest. You might even plant grass and cover it with a wooden frame covered with hardware cloth so that the grass can grow up and when it is long enough to reach through the wire, the chickens will eat it. Just make sure whatever you plant is safe and not poisonous for your birds. Good Luck and welcome to BYC!

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Plant on the outside of the fenced area.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by