Dirty egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sisters Farms, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Sisters Farms

Sisters Farms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2014
    Cordova, alabama
    i collected a poopy egg this morning. Should I wash it and refrigerate or just leave as is. I know if you wash it, it takes off the protection layer, so just checking on what to do.

2. silkymom

silkymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    if its bad i would scrape off the poo, if ya can you can sand it off, if its just one, i guess just wipe it with water or wash with water and eat it, good luck i get them here and there, i just rinse and use em first, i had trouble with poopy eggs when the hens were mean to the new roo and he perched over the nest they use, it was a mes, i had to rinse them, still tasted good, we just used them first

3. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    Wash it in warm water and refrigerate it.

Personally, I don't like the thought of chicken poop in my kitchen or refrigerator.

4. silkymom

Nov 20, 2009
    got to agree, wash it

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I would suggest that you only wash it just before use....eggs do not need to be refrigerated so it is OK to leave the protective layer on it until you want to eat it..you can always leave the egg in an outside store if you do not want an egg with poop on it in your house...

6. silkymom

Nov 20, 2009
    if your hubby is like mine poopy eggs dont get used, he sees poop he wont eat, hehhe, i have to clean em when i get em , if i clean nests every other day they come out clean, and do the whole coop once a week,

7. Sisters Farms

Sisters Farms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2014
    Cordova, alabama
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate the the replies

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto the wash then refrigerate(refrigerate because of washing off of bloom)

I 'wash' it under running water warmer than egg,
    'scrubbing' by spinning in both hands so every part of egg surface is wiped until no poop remains.
    Dry off well and put it in fridge and that's the next one used.
    I don't sell these, rather use them myself, as I don't refrigerate most my eggs.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  9. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

If you wash, use warmer water than the egg to help prevent contaminates from entering the porous shell.

Then refrigerate. The egg will be no worse than a store bought. [​IMG]

10. CB3fish

CB3fish Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2014
    There are egg washes for eggs which help kill bacteria on the eggs. My mother would always wash the poop off the eggs, dry them and put them in a large bowl in the cupboard, she never put eggs in the frig. We were farm people and used the eggs frequently; none got old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by