DIRTY EGGS! HELP! They are sitting on my kitchen floor!HELP PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peafowlmom, Nov 3, 2011.

1. peafowlmom

peafowlmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    I just got my eggs (not from BYC member, unfortunately) they are DIRTY! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    How can I clean them a little? They REALLY need it! [​IMG]
    Please help.

Any advice on first hatching? I have read a lot but now I am worried! I didn't get any info. with them. ?????

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I think a lot depends on how dirty they are. Maybe take a damp paper towel and just rub them a little. They will probably be just fine.

I lived in Summerville years ago.

3. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    Thats pretty disgusting to send dirty eggs. try to leave the bloom intact as much as possible. use sand paper to get the much off if possible. I am so sorry for you this is not normal for receiving eggs via mail.

Do you have your bator ready to go? temp should be 99 to 100 degrees with 99.5 being perfect. humidity should be 35 to 40ish. set the eggs on the counter for at least 12 hours so they can settle after their ride. PO can be tough on eggs, though I had a great success buying eggs from Lisa in NC. keep me posted

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  4. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    All I know is DONT rinse them! If you use a damp towel then make sure you use cool water! Heat opens pours and lets bacteria in which will kill a baby.

5. peafowlmom

peafowlmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    They are pretty dirty. I have never seen any like this.

Glad to hear you lived here before. [​IMG]

Thank you so much for answering.

6. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    Quote:This is incorrect information. use a HOT towel to wipe them. cool with allow stuff thru the pores. HOT HOT HOT at least hotter than the temp of the egg. I cant believe anyone would send dirty eggs to anyone let alone a new person.

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    What type of eggs? Remember that waterfowl eggs can be quite dirty and still do just fine.

Be careful when washing eggs - it removes the protective "bloom" on the egg which makes bacteria more likely to enter the egg.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything with them. Contact the seller first about the eggs and see what they say. Some sellers will be more than happy to send replacements, especially if you explain you want to have a good success rate for your first set.

If they are extremely dirty (ie - covered in mud that doesn't wipe off with a light brushing), I would toss them.

8. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    BYC member Gypsy07 uses a hot water and bleach solution to clean her eggs before incubation and she has had great results doing this. That might be an option for you if they are super dirty. I'll see if I can find her instructions.

9. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
  10. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    The sender should be embarrassed. If you bought from an auction, please leave feedback. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by