Dirty eggs? put in or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dwegg, Dec 3, 2010.

1. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok...so being a first timer in hatching eggs I had already read about NOT washing eggs because of the bloom ect...but when I got my shipped eggs two of them were quite dirty...I tried to rub it off with a paper towel but not much came off so i put them in the bator with the others...

after reading posts on here saying DON'T put dirty eggs in the bator ect...so I pulled them out straight away.

These two had been in the bator for 4 hours with the others...did I do the right thing by pulling them out? and will this effect the other eggs?
    [​IMG]

2. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    You can do a few things - you can just incubate them. That's what I think the majority of people would do. It's not too late; just stick them back in.

If you're worried about bacteria inside the shells like I am, you can either pitch them - if they're not high-value to you, this is no great shame - or you can wash them with hot water, dip them in hydrogen peroxide, and put them in the incubator so they are not touching any other eggs and see what happens.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  3. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 14 eggs so I think I am just going to discard them... [​IMG] I don't want them to contaminate the others...

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    No dirtier than those appear I'd wash and set them.

I wash and sanitize all of my hatching eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by