Dirty eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, Nov 16, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    My eggs have been really dirty this week, because of so much rain [​IMG] Can I just wipe them off with wet paper towel and put them in the frig for later use? Don't know if all of it is mud or some poo too? How can that get in the egg?
    Thanks

2. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Once in a while I will get an egg with a little yuck on it. I just wipe it with a wet paper towel. If it is dried on you can use a very fine grit sandpaper.

3. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, thats what I do too. I also have a little scrubber brush that I use dry. I bought it at the feedstore but you can probably get them anywhere, in fact a nailbrush it is probably the same thing.

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I use an old soft tooth brush.

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Me too. Some people say not to wash the eggs, but if they're going in my fridge with the rest of the food, I prefer to have the poo and dirt off them.

It might be time to change the materials in your nests, btw. Perhaps the nests have gotten a little filthy from the hens' muddy feet.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I do the same thing if I get a dirty egg. I have also used the green scrub pads and wipe the eggs gently with it.

7. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    I keep a nylon scrub pad by the sink. I can get a corner damp if something doesn't scrub off dry.

The family knows that the red 'scrubby' is for eggs ONLY!

8. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    my wife and i were discussing this a bit ago, why not wash eggs ?

9. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

There is a covering on the egg called bloom, it seals the egg and keeps out bacteria and germs and keeps the egg fresher longer.
    When you wash the egg it removes the bloom.
    Commercial egg suppliers wash their eggs and then coat them in something like an artificial bloom I hear.

10. tygab

tygab Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    MA/NH border
    I am putting the dirtier eggs in a separate container (one of those ziploc reusable but recycle-able/disposable kinds). I flick off the stuff, then put them in there and fasten the lid. I think it will be a reasonable compromise between separation from the rest of the food and not washing the egg bloom off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by