Dirty eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by krazykoop, Nov 4, 2016.

1. krazykoop

krazykoop New Egg

Nov 1, 2016
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have an issue with my hens laying eggs from the roost bar, which land in the poop tarp. So, every morning I am finding the eggs are soiled. There is so much conflicting info on should I or should I not clean the eggs and if I do clean them are they ok to consume? I'm new at this and need some advice. In particular, why are the hens using the roost to lay eggs?? I have nesting boxes, but neither hen is interested in them......any suggestions?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If they are new to laying, then I'd think that its more an issue of them sorting out their egg-laying system.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Read your intro....you have some silkies and large fowl birds.
    How many of each?
    Is it the silkies that are laying off the roost?

How old are these birds and how long have you had them?

Can you post pics of your nests and the inside of your coop?

ETA: regarding eating the dirty eggs, that's up to you.
    I wash thoroughly under running water that is warmer than the egg.
    Air and towel dry and refrigerate .....or use immediately after washing.
    Some are so gross I toss them, some I might hard boil to ensure thorough cooking.

4. krazykoop

krazykoop New Egg

Nov 1, 2016
    Ohio
    Thanks for your response. I suppose I should clarify my intro......my son kept the silkies, I have two Rhode Island Red hens and one Barred Rock roo. I have only had them for about two weeks and they are not quite a year old, so my son got them as chicks back in the Spring.

I will change my pic when I get a good pic of my roo....that might be causing some confusion.

I just told my husband that those hens don't know what they are doing .......He replied, "That's right, it can't be that we are the "dummies"! LOL!!

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Thanks for clarifying.

They may just be a little confused about where the nests are, you might have to 'show' them.
    Need to see your nests...should be able to post pics right here in thread.
    Oh, maybe after a few more posts, not sure how many it takes<scratcheshead>

Wonders if your cockerel is harassing the girls......1 cockerel with 2 pullets can be stressful for the girls unless he is a 'gentleman'.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm assuming that the pics you posted are the "before" the birds moved in pics. And assuming that you have plenty of bedding in the coop now, perhaps shavings, leaves, or such??? I think your nest boxes are the issue. IMO, the access to them is a limiting factor. Try putting a step stool, perhaps a nice beefy log standing on end in front of the nest boxes. Line them with a nice layer of hay, and put some golf balls or fake eggs in there. I use plastic Easter eggs weighted, and glued shut. Chickens don't seem to care what color they are.

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm thinking what pics?!?! Scroll up... oh, there they are!

Yes, those nests need a more substantial perch in front.....many have had trouble with them.
    I'd attach a piece of 2x4 across the existing perches..... conduit clamps could work well for that.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Morning friend. Need some coffee???? [​IMG]

9. krazykoop

krazykoop New Egg

Nov 1, 2016
    Ohio
    Thanks for the advice. We did add a stump, but they would only look in...curiosity mostly. Yes, we have four inches of sand on one side and the opposite is several inches of pine flakes. We did just add an "open" type nest box in the lower, darker part of the barn, and one hen went right to it. In addition, we added another bar in front of the brooder boxes.......however, they still won't go in, but are very curious to anything new. I added nest box pads to each box. She shredded the one in the
    new nest box, I suppose making it her own design. I should take more pics, as the ones posted are about a week before we adopted the birds.

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Shredding the nest pad is a good sign, means she can get in there and is checking it out.
    Pullets like to try to dig thru the bottom of the nest at first..haha!
    They usually stop that after the first few eggs.

The gray boxes with the thin black perches are nesting boxes too...for laying eggs....or for a broody to sit on and hatch eggs.
    Either activity can happen about anywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by