Dirty eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by milleryardchx, Aug 26, 2008.

1. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    I have two barred rocks that have been layiong since may for me. I used to have these beautiful eggs with not a speck of poo on them never once! but now every egg i get from these girls are just covered on poo whats up? I clean out the entire coop once a week its not a dirty place that they lay there eggs is so what gives? [​IMG]

2. I have a hen that lays sitting on the roost,so I know I will have at least one dirty egg,Don't know why,they have lots of hay in the nests and they won't lay there either, they lay on the ground,good thing I keep lots of hay on the ground too marrie

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Check and make sure she doesn't have droppings stuck to her rear feathers. If she does, wash them and dry her off real good before returning her to the hen house.

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    The gunk is probably from dirty feet, especially if they stepped in a big pile on their way to the nestbox. The laying hen could have dirty feet, or the girl who came after her. It's definitely not from their egg-laying plumbing.

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    sometimes they will lay the egg and poop at the same time. mine do that quite often.

6. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the same problem sometimes. It's very frustrating because I like to sell my eggs and won't sell any that have had "stuff" on them. I even set up the nesting boxes to that they would have to walk through clean straw to get to the nest, but they still drag poo in on their feet!!!!

7. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    well that would be why thee coop and run are cleaned weekly but it a dirt run because they eat all veggitation in site so it would be dirt just making sure their plumbing isn't broken. thanks

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

From what I can tell, it's poopy feet. The bigger the chicken the more poo on their feet, so.....

9. hali74

hali74 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2013
    It also maybe because your hens have worms..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by