dirty frizzle 5-6wo. How do I clean him/her?

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
Chicken math has struck... even though i swore it would never happen...

A local lady was selling silkie and frizzle and I just couldn’t resist! They were all healthy looking except for one, who probably has problems due to being a giant fluff ball. Well... I felt sorry for it and brought it home... I’ve cut some fluff away from its eyes (she/he has quite the appetite!), but it’s also quite dirty (feed and poop stuck in its feathers), vent was nice and clear, so that was good. There was also a lot of poop around its butt feathers, and i trimmed some of those away.

I need suggestion on how to clean it up...

bath? wipe? do it now? Wait a few day until them settle in? halp!

Attachments

• B9FEEFFC-6FD1-41FC-AB5E-C28C5FE5ED94.jpeg
    B9FEEFFC-6FD1-41FC-AB5E-C28C5FE5ED94.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 64873F41-E507-417A-8E99-9E89E6892BE8.jpeg
    64873F41-E507-417A-8E99-9E89E6892BE8.jpeg
    356.7 KB · Views: 14
  • E168199A-6AF0-423B-9E50-A120673F46C4.jpeg
    E168199A-6AF0-423B-9E50-A120673F46C4.jpeg
    393.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 51B92B19-3CA3-4C73-8FF5-DD99DE673AAF.jpeg
    51B92B19-3CA3-4C73-8FF5-DD99DE673AAF.jpeg
    399 KB · Views: 14
Some Chickens Take baths pretty well. They have water proofing feathers which makes it easier for dirt to come off. Just wash off what’s necessary and dry her well.

Some Chickens Take baths pretty well. They have water proofing feathers which makes it easier for dirt to come off. Just wash off what’s necessary and dry her well.
How should I dry her? would a blow drier be too harsh? I've only ever cleaned up some pasty butt, but this one has poop all over...

Chicken math has struck... even though i swore it would never happen...

A local lady was selling silkie and frizzle and I just couldn’t resist! They were all healthy looking except for one, who probably has problems due to being a giant fluff ball. Well... I felt sorry for it and brought it home... I’ve cut some fluff away from its eyes (she/he has quite the appetite!), but it’s also quite dirty (feed and poop stuck in its feathers), vent was nice and clear, so that was good. There was also a lot of poop around its butt feathers, and i trimmed some of those away.

I need suggestion on how to clean it up...

bath? wipe? do it now? Wait a few day until them settle in? halp!

I used warm water with Epsom salts to clean a hen with severe pasty butt. I would think that would work for all over dirtiness. After a quick towel off, I let her roam the back yard (a real treat) and she dried off within less than an hour.

One thought - is your coop clean?

Use slightly soapy warm water in a dish tub, place her in slowly, then use your finger to wipe her feathers to clean off the dirt. Then use a hose wand and rinse her off gently. Towel dry, use blow dryer on low setting, till she's completely dry. Hope that helps.

Okay, I’ve bathed her and drier her thoroughly... then I put her under the lamp in case she was still cold.
She didn't move around much before... and is still not moving around much, and now she won’t stop trill-chirping... :(

I used warm water with Epsom salts to clean a hen with severe pasty butt. I would think that would work for all over dirtiness. After a quick towel off, I let her roam the back yard (a real treat) and she dried off within less than an hour.

One thought - is your coop clean?

They won't be in the coop for another few weeks I think. They're supposed to be 5 weeks old, but they seem a lot smaller... maybe silkies are just smaller?? They're very comfortable with people which is great, I'm probably going to keep them as house chickens until they can fend for themselves when out with the big girls.

Use slightly soapy warm water in a dish tub, place her in slowly, then use your finger to wipe her feathers to clean off the dirt. Then use a hose wand and rinse her off gently. Towel dry, use blow dryer on low setting, till she's completely dry. Hope that helps.

Thanks, I already bathed her, but will definitely use slightly soapy water next time. there were some stubborn pieces of poop, that i just ended up cutting off with a sharp scissors. there's still poop on her leg feathers, I think I'll just gently wet towel those away next time.... do you know whether cat shampoo is okay for chicken? I have some burts bee cat shampoo...

Okay, I’ve bathed her and drier her thoroughly... then I put her under the lamp in case she was still cold.
She didn't move around much before... and is still not moving around much, and now she won’t stop trill-chirping... :(

They won't be in the coop for another few weeks I think. They're supposed to be 5 weeks old, but they seem a lot smaller... maybe silkies are just smaller?? They're very comfortable with people which is great, I'm probably going to keep them as house chickens until they can fend for themselves when out with the big girls.

Thanks, I already bathed her, but will definitely use slightly soapy water next time. there were some stubborn pieces of poop, that i just ended up cutting off with a sharp scissors. there's still poop on her leg feathers, I think I'll just gently wet towel those away next time.... do you know whether cat shampoo is okay for chicken? I have some burts bee cat shampoo...
I mean, silkies ARE bantams.....cat shampoo is probably ok for chickens, but I'm not super sure.

Dawn soap is my always go to soap. “Tough on grease gentle on hands“ lol. It’s great for killing fleas on cats as well as getting poop out of feathers.

Back
Top Bottom