Dirty goose!! Literally!

Songster
12 Years
Jan 20, 2011
Delavan, Wi
I have to take my geese to the fair tomorrow and one is still dirty after 2 baths!! Someone suggested that i put vegetable oil in their water to make them molt faster, it did but it made one goose super oily and the feathers are hard. so far i have given it two baths with dawn hand soap, the kind that gets oil off birds in the wild. Is there anything else i should do? The dawn baths arnt helping at all!!!

Yeah, They have a Poultry Show Shampoo that is made SPECIFICALLY for Poultry.. I think you will have to wait for them to Molt. What is all over them dirt?

Quote:
okay when you said soap i thought you were meaning bar. I have never heard of putting veg. oil in their water to help them molt but I can see how this would make them oily and then everything would stick to their feathers.

There is some sort of problem here, but I am not quite sure what it is. I don't think it is the bath.

To get my goose ready to show, I just put her where she can't get into any bare dirt and give her her favorite bath tub with clean water. She will splash and play until she is spotless.

But my geese don't get dirty. They are living on bare dirt, so their feet are dirty. The dirt just slides off their hard well oiled feathers, though and a little play time in clean water, where they can't get their feet back into bare dirt, leaves them with clean feet.

My Pekin ducks will get filthy. They splash in the mud until they are covered in brown mud. But into the water and they are clean and nice in seconds. The mud just slides right off them.

So I don't know if you've got a problem with the texture of feathers, your diet, or unrealistic expectations about what color your birds should be.

There is no way to get a bird to finish a molt by tomorrow. It takes time to grow feathers.

Oh wait. You are asking how to get the vegetable oil off your goose?

I don't really know. I'd try blotting it off with something absorbent, like those fake chamois. Then I'd use Orvis, but Dawn dish detergent is the only other thing I can think of, and it should take the oil off the feathers, including the natural oil.

I mix Orvis, 1 Tablespoon into a gallon of warm water and wash with that. Just stroke with the feathers so you don't break feathers. Most feed stores should sell Orvis.

Back
Top Bottom