Dirty Hen Butts

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Travilah, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Travilah

Travilah Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Myersville, Maryland
    I have 4 Golden Comets, in good health, laying like crazy all winter. However, they are producing some "dirty" eggs as they have poopy butts.

Can I wash them? I did try to brush/flake off dirty feathers, but I have used idatomaceous earth in thier coops, and it appears that some of that has adhered to feathers too. Does not flake off easily.

Is this indicative of a problem? Their poops appear normal, they free range, and are in good health over all.

Chris

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sometimes hens will have a poopy bottom and there isn't a problem with them. Other times I have noticed that it heralded a worm infestation.

So, I'd check for worms but also you can wash the bottom of the hens (blow dry if cold outside) and/or cut/pluck feathers so there is nothing for the poo to stick to. I have found that there is usually one hen who needs a bottom washing every few months for some reason.

I think you were also asking about washing eggs? We wash all our eggs with Egg Washer Pro.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  3. Travilah

Travilah Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Myersville, Maryland
    Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by