Dirty hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rainwolfeh, Mar 5, 2017.

1. rainwolfeh

rainwolfeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2015
    Was hoping if you guys could help me out. My blue EE, Dipper, seems to have horrible personal hygiene - her beard and muffs are stained brown and her feathers seem to have a gross dusty coating on them. Their coop is spotless, their run isn't dirty and is late enough for 10 chickens and there are only five, and they have two dust baths to choose from. But she's still grimy. Is there any reason for this or do I just have a dirty chicken? What can I do to help?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I believe it's just her coloring, and not dirt. Many blue birds will have reddish brown feathers around the head. That's what I'm seeing.

3. rainwolfeh

Mar 23, 2015
    Oh wow that would be embarrassing LOL. I considered that but it looked so much like staining I wasn't sure. She's my least friendly so it's hard to get her up close to look.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I always figure if you can't catch them easily, they are healthy birds. She's a good looking little hen either way. Coloring or dirt, I wouldn't worry about her.

5. rainwolfeh

Mar 23, 2015
    Thank you :) I appreciate. I'm overly paranoid about my girls lol

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees with OHLD, could be coloration of feathers,
    could also be some staining from mud/damp dirt, they do like to dig holes in damp dirt.
    You could always grab her off the roost at night and take a better look.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If it is staining from feed, there's really not much she can do about it. Chickens preen with their beaks, and her beak can't reach that area. She can kind of kick at it with a foot, but that's spotty at best. It's like us humans trying to reach that one particular spot on our backs....we try but just can't get it ourselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by