Dirty hen

CCUK

Free Flying
Jan 21, 2018
North Notts, UK
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 18mth old 'white' araucana hen. I use the term 'white' loosely! She is filthy. I have several white hens that are reasonably clean. The weather has been wet and cold here. The run is on woodchips and not everso wet. Could there be a reason why she is so dirty or do some hens just attract an insane amount of filth? I have washed her twice before but she always seems to end up covered in muck.
DSC_0020.JPG

Are the dirt marks made by the rooster :idunno
They could be. But she's the only one this mucky.
Some chickens seem rather keener on hygiene and grooming than others.:idunno
I have a white hen called Dink and it seems everything sticks to her. She does dust bath but she’s super fussy about what she’ll bath in. :he Her rooster doesn’t seem to mind.
You could try building a dust bath using dry soil and wood ash and drop a few hints that a bath would make her more attractive.:p
On a more serious note, check her feathers over for oil coating. Look at the base of the feathers around the follicles and check her preen gland is damp.
If there are traces of oil at the above mentioned points then you’ll know she can condition her feathers properly if she chooses.
Washing chickens in water is completely pointless with regard to the chickens view of cleanliness and hygiene.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/why-chickens-bath-in-dust-and-not-in-water.74441/
Her feathers are looking a bit old now. She hasn't moulted this year and could probably benefit from one.
Ironically her name is snowy!

I have a 18mth old 'white' araucana hen. I use the term 'white' loosely! She is filthy. I have several white hens that are reasonably clean. The weather has been wet and cold here. The run is on woodchips and not everso wet. Could there be a reason why she is so dirty or do some hens just attract an insane amount of filth? I have washed her twice before but she always seems to end up covered in muck.
View attachment 1605027
Some chickens seem rather keener on hygiene and grooming than others.:idunno
I have a white hen called Dink and it seems everything sticks to her. She does dust bath but she’s super fussy about what she’ll bath in. :he Her rooster doesn’t seem to mind.
You could try building a dust bath using dry soil and wood ash and drop a few hints that a bath would make her more attractive.:p
On a more serious note, check her feathers over for oil coating. Look at the base of the feathers around the follicles and check her preen gland is damp.
If there are traces of oil at the above mentioned points then you’ll know she can condition her feathers properly if she chooses.
Washing chickens in water is completely pointless with regard to the chickens view of cleanliness and hygiene.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/why-chickens-bath-in-dust-and-not-in-water.74441/

They could be. But she's the only one this mucky.

Her feathers are looking a bit old now. She hasn't moulted this year and could probably benefit from one.
Ironically her name is snowy!
It's natural to bath less as one gets older. The opportunities for close physical contact are less. Tha'ts what I tell my family anyway.:lol:

She doesn't have lice or mites and they've just finished being wormed. They do dry have a dust bath in the covered run. Some of them do dust bath in the chippings but aren't dirty like she is. I have a rooster that seems to like her but she's the only one this mucky.

Back
Top Bottom