Dirty Jobs, chicken round up

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scooter147, Jan 20, 2010.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Who saw the episode of Dirty Jobs last night? The round up of feral chickens in Miami.
    What I found amazing is how quickly these birds took to the "wild".
    They obviously have been doing very well at eluding predators, finding food and water. It was obvious to me how quickly the birds who were smaller, sleeker, faster and good flyers survived and past those genes on. They estimated I believe they said about 9,000 feral chickens in Miami.
    These birds were fast and man could they fly. They reminded me of pheasants they way they got up, flew and sailed away.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I TOTALLY enjoyed watching that show!! Taught Mike Rowe a thing or two about chickens, didn't it. [​IMG]

I was surprised the following segment about mealworms didn't specifically refer to chickens, too. Just mostly "reptiles" and a brief mention of "birds." Huh.

3. Roy

Roy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Central Illinois
    That was very enjoyable to watch. How do suppose something like this happened. 9000 wild chickens in Miami, wow

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    It appeared to me by the look of many of the birds that they were decendents of birds used in cock fighting. Many of the roosters and most of the hens I saw looked very similar to birds used in the fighting industry. Cock fighting is big in South Florida so I suspect that many birds have just been set free by their owners and left unchecked they became a problem.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  5. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    LOL, guess I was the only one yelling at the tv to leave those poor chickens alone! I did get a total kick out of it everytime a chicken escaped.

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Probably flimsy coops and hurricanes. [​IMG]

7. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I totally cracked up and my son told me I was a freak. The crazy chicken lady. It never mentioned what they planned to do with those chickens.
    Can you imagine one of those boys perched on your windowsill crowing at 4:30 a.m.?! I'd be just a little miffed myself.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, yes, the show mentioned they sell them to .. uhhh someplace, I wasn't paying attention at THAT particular moment.... for breeding stock. And money they get from the sales is donated .... someplace else....

9. jmbelders

jmbelders New Egg

Oct 9, 2009
    They did say something that they sold the chickens to local farms or something like that. I would assume for chicken feed. [​IMG], or at least very little money.

10. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    My group let out a big "AWWWWW!!!" When they found the chicks in the bushes. Very amusing to watch. I know my fat girls couldn't manuver like that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by