Dirty Mother Hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pennylane, Nov 6, 2013.

1. pennylane

pennylane Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2012
    Our silkie hatched 4 new chicks yesterday! She's a perfect new momma for her first clutch. However, she is FILTHY! Sitting in her own poo for 21 days does not a clean chicken make. They are in the coop outside, separated from the rest of the flock. It's been about 60-65 during the day and in the 40's at night.
    I feel like I should clean her BUT I'm so nervous...
    1) is this bad for her as a new momma?
    2) would she need to be "dry" before I put her back outside?
    3) if I separate her from her chicks, is there a chance she'd abandon them or that they would get to stressed?
    4) Good grief, how do I do this? Inside?

2. Hanna8

Hanna8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    I don't think a bath would be any worse than being covered in poop! I would take her in and use nice warm water for the bath, then blow dry her thoroughly before taking her back out. We use our laundry sink for baths because it is nice and deep. Dawn dish soap will be your best friend when it comes to getting that dried poop off. Most chickens absolutely love being blow dried after they get over their initial shock. You can put the babies in a cage or carrier of some type and bring them along, so they're always nearby and your mama hen doesn't get too stressed about them.

3. pennylane

pennylane Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2012
    YAY! Thank you so much! BIG HELP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by