dirty preen gland?

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
My paint silky has a dirty pretty gland (literally lots of dirt) with broken feathers around it... is this normal? All her other feathers are shiny and healthy, albeit a little off white on the surface.

She currently has a mild case of lice.

I didn’t even realize that a preen gland existed until today 😅 What are the signs of a healthy preen gland?

(the white speck are diatomaceous earth I dusted her with while I wait for sulphur to arrive)
41022010-9195-408A-AD7E-E0865D202717.jpeg

Hi I have a similar question about the appearance of dirt / clumping around the oil gland and at the base of tail feathers etc. It looks like sand and dirt (sort of resembles flea poop) stuck to the area about the oil gland and sometimes around the vent, fluffy bottom and thigh feathers. They dust bathe in a mixture of sand and potting soil. I freaked myself out thinking it was mites and treated all my birds and the coop with elector multiple times…it washes off easily with water, but returns. I have carefully inspected but haven’t seen a mite or lice/ just tiny black dots that look like they could be the aftermath of mites or fleas. I’m stumped. My question is: it’s there a problem or is it just dirt stuck to oily feathers ? Any Advice greatly appreciated. Thank you

let me check my large fowl birds tomorrow and get back to you. it didn't seem like a big deal in the end and I forgot about this on my satin. She did however have a bout of lice, which was quickly taken care of with a dusting of sulfur.

It's not uncommon for some dirt/debris to be found sticking to the oil gland or surrounding feathers. That area is oily so dirt naturally sticks:)

As long as you are not seeing crawling bugs, you are fine. It's best to leave the oil gland alone. It's sensitive and is doing it's job.

Back
Top Bottom