Dirty silkie poof

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Skye727, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Skye727

Skye727 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    My little silkie has a nasty poof. It is so bad that it is pulling her skin. I cleaned it two days ago and she got all dirty again with it pulling on her skin again. Should I trim it? Will it grow back? The silkie is actually the one in my profile picture.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Poof?

3. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Maybe its the hair on it's head Skye is talking about. I would wash it again and use a blow dryer to dry it so it's not wet going back out? I have never trimmed the hair before but would imagine it will grow back if that's what you are going to do. :)

4. Skye727

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    Yes. I mean the hair on her head. LOL I blow dried it last time before I put her out. I don't know how she is getting that muddy! I don't think it's rained since I cleaned her last time I can't keep cleaning her. I'm not supposed to get her head wet but it's impossible when I have to clean her.

5. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

I have trimmed the feathers on my silkie cockerel's head. He sees better, and I worry about him catching his death with a wet head in the cold wind.

6. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    If it hasn't been wet then not sure how it getting so dirty. I don't think trimming her fur on her head will hurt. I would try it!

7. Skye727

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    She won't be as pretty. She's my poofiest silkie. Poor girl!

8. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Or maybe put it up in a pony tail? And I am being serious! Get a small baby rubber band and put it up.

9. Skye727

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    I should have done that! I trimmed it yesterday. Dangit! I've been to St. Helens. It's pretty out there. My horse was in Rainier for a while.

10. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    O darn! When I grows out you can try it then. :) It is very pretty out here, love it. I have only passed through Rainier, it's a small town.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by