dirty vent

Im new to chickens, you'll be able to tell. One of my buff orpingtons has a dirty vent. Does this mean somethings wrong with her?
Do you mean poop is sticking to her feathers around her vent? mine get this and I trim the feathers so it doesn't build up. If you thinking something else is wrong you might want to wash her off with warm water so you can get a better look, just don't put her back outside wet if your temps are cold.

Last edited:
Do you mean poop is sticking to her feathers around her vent? mine get this and I trim the feathers so it doesn't build up. If you thinking something else is wrong you might want to wash her off with warm water so you can get a better look, just don't out her back outside wet if your temps are cold. 
yes, I mean poop is sticking to her. Thanks for the information. I'll clean her up tomorrow.

yes, I mean poop is sticking to her. Thanks for the information. I'll clean her up tomorrow.
Hopefully that's all it is. keep us updated. In the late fall I clip all my hens feathers around the vent just to keep things clean over winter. just be very careful not to clip skin.

Shes just too fluffy. She seems to be fine. I did cut the mess out, just too many feathers.im keeping an eye on her though. Shes the only one dirty around the vent. She layed an egg about an hour ago.

I have a couple with extra fluffy backsides that need the occasional trim to keep things tidy. Sometimes worms can cause a dirty behind as well. Something to consider if they haven't been dewormed.

Is pumpkin a natural dewormer? I have not wormed my hens. They've just started laying and as awful as it sounds, I'm so excited to have eggs I don't want to not be able to use the eggs for 20 days.
Another "dumb" question for you, could worms be in the eggs?

Worms can show up in the eggs, it's not common or usual but it can happen. And no, pumpkin will not deworm your birds. You could gather up several poop samples and take them to a vet to have them tested for worms if you'd rather not deworm at this time. Otherwise a regular deworming schedule using Valbazen or liquid Safeguard for goats will keep things under control.

I have tried to find a vet near here that will do that...to no avail. I'll wait for the egg laying to slow down. Ive only had chickens since April. I started out with 3 silkies and 2 Ee mixes then in June I ordered 10 chicks. Thats still wasnt enough so I bought 5 RIR. Love chickens, they make me laugh. I'd still like to get some copper marans...

I have tried to find a vet near here that will do that...to no avail. I'll wait for the egg laying to slow down. Ive only had chickens since April. I started out with 3 silkies and 2 Ee mixes then in June I ordered 10 chicks. Thats still wasnt enough so I bought 5 RIR. Love chickens, they make me laugh. I'd still like to get some copper marans...
Chicken math has struck again
lol.png

I worm 2X a year unless I see a round worm before then. I used Safeguard will do Valbazen next spring when I worm again. I wormed in Dec this year because all my hens after molt didn't start back up laying so it was a good time. Next will be late spring.

Back
Top Bottom