1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dirty water and feed pots

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kezai, Apr 12, 2009.

1. kezai

kezai Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    How do I stop the chicks flapping wood shavings into their water and feed pots. I could be cleaning every half an hour. I'm new to chick rearing and would appreciate any tips.

2. Turtle

Turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Lyles,TN
    Put the feed pots and water on something just high enough they can reach it all, but you can never really stop that for good.

3. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    Set them up on a brick or piece of wood. It wont stop it completely, but will help.
    Now if I could get mine to stop flinging their food into the shavings I would be all set!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  4. kezai

kezai Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    Doh! So obvious. Thanks guys.

5. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Even better is to make a kind of stair-steppy thing if you have room...a bigger piece of plywood on top of the shavings to create a "no shavings" zone, then a 2x4 or whatever might be appropriate on that to lift the waterer.

Hope that makes sense!

6. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:When I was using wood chips I tried all kind of tricks to keep the water and food clean.

There is no way to entirely prevent it .

That was a major reason I stopped using wood chips, and I am happy without this smelly mess, I believe my chicks are happy too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by