Dirty Water?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Swissmiss989, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    I started with a clean incubater and I keep adding fresh clean water to it. I dont have bad eggs or weepers. But I noticed my wells are tinted yellow. Whats going on? Is that normal?

2. silkie_sue

silkie_sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Quote:You know I'm kind of interested in this as well. I have three different incubators and only one...one, has one well that always turns a strange rusty color but it doesn't seem to harm the hatching. All are cleaned with antibac soap, bleached and sun dried between it's odd, huh?

Suz

3. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    It is odd. Maybe when the water evaporates its the left over stuff like I dunno what ever the city does not filter out or iron from hard water maybe? Lol im not sure if what I'm trying to say came out right. But if you have only 1 out of 3 maybe my theory is wrong. Any smart people awake to help us?

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I can either be hard water deposits OR bacteria of some sort. It's why I always buy distilled water for use in my incubators.

5. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    I have to weigh eggs tomorrow should I dump the tray and rinse it out?

Would using egg cartons to incubate make any difference? (they are new not used)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  6. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I have mineral deposits in my 'wells' when incubating too. The green deposit smells, so I wipe that out twice during incubation. The pink one doesn't, so I leave that in there, but it takes some scratching to get out afterwards. I think the colour depends on which tap I get it from. Pink from the water tank and green from the mains. It's horrible to think I drink that [​IMG]

Because the deposits donn't evaporate, I don't think they harm the eggs/chicks.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:I use new egg cartons for the last three days. I also cut out the bottoms and much of the sides to allow for air circulation around the eggs.

I usually only rinse the tray going into lockdown and only if it looks bad.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. It is most likely mineral deposits from your water as it evaporates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by