Dirty Yucky Nasty Rats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NC29mom, Jul 31, 2011.

1. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Over past several nights, we have had a visitor on our property. 1st night he took 2 BTW jap hens (about 3m old). No signs of blood/feathers/fight....nothing. 2nd night he took a BR chick & BO chick (2-3wks old). He left dead BR and there was a RIR and BO seriously injured. (all chicks 2-4wks old). LAST NIGHT he slaughtered my chicks. UNBELIEVABLE! I had 6 dead chicks....EE, NN, 2BO, Plym Rock, Sex Link. To say I am ticked is an understatement.

I had my Juv & Grown Sebrights roosting in the same area as my chicks. The sebrights would only come in during the night......they roamed the yard throughout the day. And, they would roost up high in the barn, while the chicks slept on the floor. I thought the Sebrights were killing my chicks. So, I gave them to a neighbor. NOW....I see..........I lost less chicks when the sebrights were in the barn than not.

The chicks we found dead had bite marks near head/neck. Otherwise, they weren't really torn apart. There were 2 missing....just gone. My investigating has lead me to believe we either have a weseal or a rat. I think we have figured out how the predator is getting in .....

We did leave one area open (where we think he's coming out from).....bc my DF has set a trap for tonight.

I have never ever ever lost any chickens to predators.....................................and my chickens ROAM THE YARD all day!!!! (not the chicks, of course)

We also put some industrial rat poison under the barn. (mice and rats really gross me out!!! I clean up the chicken coops/roosting areas every day....food in airtight plastic containers. However, it's impossible to pick up all of the feed my chickens throw on the floor of their outside runs....even with hanging feeders)

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Sounds very much like you may be correct about it being a weasel....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by