1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Disabled Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EllenTheHen, Mar 3, 2013.

1. EllenTheHen

EllenTheHen Hatching

Mar 3, 2013
    My chicken was attacked 2 days ago by a neighbor dog that got loose. She is not walking or even trying to walk. she cannot use her left leg. she is eating but not drinking , and i think she has nerve damage and many big gouge wounds on her back??? what do i do????? will she get better?

2. OHmamma

OHmamma The Culling Queen

Feb 25, 2010
    Ohio
    Try to clean and access her wounds and use an antibacterial spray or iodine on it. I use miracle blue for wounds but if you don't have any regular spray for animal wounds is fine. Even a 50/50 peroxide and water spray will work.

Put her in a carrier or isolate her in a small area where she can relax. Put some honey or sugar in her water to encourage drinking and to get her energy up. You might have to use a dropper and drop some in her beak to get her started. Also try giving her treat type foods, cereal, veggies, cut up fruit...etc.

She still has a chance if she keeps eating and starts drinking.

Goodluck.

-Nicol

3. OHmamma

OHmamma The Culling Queen

Feb 25, 2010
    Ohio
    Oh yeah, and call your neighbors and tell them that they will be expected to replace your hen if she does not make it. I would also call animal control and report their dog.

I still don't know what is worse, bad dogs or bad dog owners.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by