DISABLED QUAIL

Discussion in 'Quail' started by clawstar, Jan 1, 2014.

1. clawstar

clawstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    my quail is "disabled" and I want some help caring for her my science class razed her from an egg and soon named her Egor.
    she is vary sad looking and fly's in spirals [​IMG]. Any help??? DO YOU HAVE A "DISABLED" QUAIL OR CHICKEN PLEASE TELL ME???

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Here she is. [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If she is already full grown, then I would imagine she has adapted to her disabilities. She may look sad to you, but she probably doesn't know the difference. Keep giving her all the love you can and enjoy her!

1 person likes this.
  4. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Ok. Thanks!!!

5. sammit

sammit Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    i have a disabled quail, shes got a bad leg. she waddles around for a bit and then sits down. still has a perfectly normal life, just unable to run around.

6. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Cool thanks for posting I want to be prepared for when I incubate some eggs

I thing egor has extra spine bones

7. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Does she do spins when she walks or only while flying? I guess my question is does the bird walk in circles when it tries to go somewhere or can it walk in a straight line?

8. clawstar

Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Not a strate line but a hobble this way then that

9. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok thats a good thing lol. I've seen birds who consumed moldy or wet food develop a condition where they get the "spins" and they do complete circles wherever they go, and that was my concern. Sounds like you just have a special bird. My rule of thumb for the short bus guys is if they can eat, drink, and get around let nature run its course, good luck to him.

10. ggschulz

ggschulz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    I have one in my batch of 70 that looks about the same. Neck is kind of crooked, and sometimes takes a windy route from Point A to Point B. Eats and drinks fine. Come butcher day, will be going in the freezer, but fends for him/herself among the group and doesn't seem distressed, so no real reason to intervene. He/she is one of the biggest in that group, so must not be a huge hindrance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by