Disabled Rooster- can he mate?

Moyi8

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2021
Hi all!
So my ladies all got killed by a fox attack about a month ago. The sole survivor of the attack was my Leghorn Rooster who defended as best he could with the other rooster, our beloved creamy legbar who sadly died also.
So Avalanche(our only remaining rooster) was left with bites and a broken knee joint. I knew in the long run he would be disabled but he literally fought so hard to survive, I didn’t have it in me to then cull him.
We made a bind and splint for his knee, which internally was completely separated- the only thing holding it together was the skin around it. We hoped that by binding it and splinting it would give him some mobility with the leg but so far he is still hopping on one leg and the other one is just dangling with no feeling or movement- we clean it regularly so that it doesn’t become infected with dirt or anything.
I guess my question is related to his ability to mate and I guess be a ‘proper’ rooster. He gets on well with his new flock that we purchased (ducks, guinea fowl and a whole new heap of chickens!) and he was happier when we got them. We have also made our coop completely bomb proof, let alone fox proof!!
I’m wondering has anyone else had a similar experience and if so what was your experience with your rooster. Did he mate? Was he still at the top of the pecking order? Did he still do all the usual dancing and crowing to attract the females?
Our rooster had started to crow just before the attack but hasn’t done so since. He is about 30 weeks old now. I’m worried he’s depressed and I worry should I have just culled him. Will he pick up? I guess I just want him to have some sort of a normal rooster life and I worry he won’t now that his leg is this way.
Any answers would be greatly appreciated! TIA 🙏🏼💜

I would worry about the weight of the rooster on just one leg. I don't have experience with this, so I'm not exactly sure, but I would think he would still be able to mate.

I was just reading a thread by @TundraFang how they amputated a little chicken's leg and I thought it was interesting and maybe something to think about?
Thanks for your reply. That was my concern also but he seems to be getting around ok while resting for periods also.
I was wondering about whether or not to see if we could amputate his leg but I was waiting to see how much use he would make of it first. Thanks again for your response definitely some food for thought!

This is the thread I mentioned. Looks like Tundrafang did a really good job with the amputation. I'm not sure if your guy would benefit from it or not, but figured I'd post the link.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/just-amputated-a-chicken-leg.1494355/
Thanks so much for this. I think this rooster had the amputation from higher up and my guy is just at the knee so I think I’ll continue to monitor for now. Thanks so much for the link anyways, will defo come in handy should we need to do this! 🙏🏼

Thanks so much for this. I think this rooster had the amputation from higher up and my guy is just at the knee so I think I’ll continue to monitor for now. Thanks so much for the link anyways, will defo come in handy should we need to do this! 🙏🏼
Hello Moyi8! I have a similar rooster issue. He had an injury when a chick and now can't use his knee properly. He's getting around okay but I'm concerned that he won't be able to mate with one good leg and the other in a frozen bent position. How did your rooster end up doing?🤞

Back
Top Bottom