Disabled Vet is greatful to all that help me

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Heme, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Heme

Heme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    A real sincere thanks to all of you out there who offered unique eggs for my incubator. I was so surprised as to how many neat species of chickens were out there. Some with feathers that hide their face and some real bushy are so neat.

To let you know, checking eggs during the incubation periods is somehow tranquil and takes some of the daily stress away. Many thanks again.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    That is a wonderful hobby and chickens do really bring a calmness. We all should be the ones grateful to you for defending our country.

I don't know about you but my husband and I always catch eachother staring at the incubated eggs even 10 days before they hatch. I don't know what we're watching for. But we do it over and over again, LOL

3. Heme

Mar 28, 2014
    Appreciate your thoughts on Vets Serving out nation.
    When coming back to my home while in uniform; folks paid either no attention to us or sometime spit in our faces.

As you can see I am not a recent Vet, but in my time, Munitions blew my ears, leaving me with 1/2 the ability to hear and constant ringing, 24/7. Had a nasty fall and injured my lower back and I suffer from distress since then. Keep on trucking along. Many have it worse than me...so I can't complain.

I mentioned that because raising the Girls has been so great for me. Wish I had done that early on in my life-time.

Happy Holidays.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    We appreciate your service to our country. My brother-in-law is a disabled Marine veteran.

5. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Hello, first off thank you for your service to our country. Secondly, just curious what part of the country you are located? We are in Colorado and we are working with a branch of the Wounded Warriors, we provide farm fresh eggs to military families that are in crisis. It is pretty amazing to hear some of the soldiers stories and of course disheartening to hear of all their issues both mental and physical due to their tour of duty.

Thanks again! Yes, chickens are very Therapuetic.

6. Heme

Mar 28, 2014
    Dear COChix: Your dedication to Veteran's causes is remarkable and generous. I am in Tennessee, Dayton to be exact which is 40 miles north of Chattanooga.

The way I got started with chickens was a as follows: One day a neighbor in our small rural community was visiting with her 4 small children who were restless, having noting to do around us adults. It was summer and my neighbor said; "We need a project to keep the kids busy.". Since my son has a 25 Acre farm nearby, 23 hens and one mean rooster, I figured it would be neat to get an incubator and let the kids witness the miracle of life. From day one, the kids took interest and on the planned day of eggs hatching , the kids were all excited to witness pipping and small creatures breaking from their shells. With eyes as big as saucers; the children gazed at the transition from pink skinned chicks with matted feathers, soon fluffed up as they toppled over one another. Hours later, I let them pick up the first born chicks and place them in the brooder box, watching their movements and eventually how they migrated to the water and feed dishes.

Not only did the children get great benefit from the project; I too felt relaxed and my interest spiked as a result. Since that time, I have incubated loads of eggs, giving many to folks that could care for them. Now I managed some Silkies that are as cute as could be, friendly and beautiful. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] 6 Altogether...not bad for the Winter months.
    Anyhow, the experience is beneficial and stimulating to say the least. Thank you so much for your comments.
    PS: To let you know, when I posted my request for some free fertile eggs (I would pay shipping) I got the Forum Overseer writing to say I was BREAKING the RULES with my posting. Oh Well?

7. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Wow, great story on how you got started with chicks and hatching. So envious, can't wait for spring and hatching. I have a vision for a program for vets involving chickens so excited to see where we go from here. We got started as my boyfriend has had them before and knew I am an animal lover. So we jumped in feet first with 28, we ordered a rainbow pack of cold hardy breeds, a meal maker and two Buff Orph roosters. Since then we have lost one to a coon and processed two Rhode Island Reds roosters from our rainbow pack. We got involved with a place called The Redistribution Center, who serves soldiers out of Fort Carson in Colorado Springs. They wre donating milk waste for my boyfriend business. So we felt like we wantd to donate back to them so we started donating 6 dozen eggs a week. By trade, I am a trained Social Worker who has been through a lot of my own medical issues, two neck fusions and facing wrist surgery in a couple weeks. Since these issues I have since been forced out of my field, so I am really enjoying the chickens. Glad you are enjoying your girls and they are so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by