Disabling the auto door in winter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gritsar, Jan 29, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have an automatic door opener on my one coop.
    I have disabled it for now, for winter, as I like to actually be out there and have a look around for predators before I let the birds out.
    My DH says I'm being silly.
    Anyone else disable theirs?

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Nope. Mine runs year round, but my coop opens up to a secure run.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks for your reply. My birds free range and as soon as they are let out in the morning they head straight for the woods. I just feel better about their safety if I wait until I am up and able to hear any ruckus.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Auto pop door opens they go out to the run. I get up look around for predators & then let them free.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I will most likely rue the day at some point, but I have no intentions of disabling the auto door on my main coop. It is using the light sensor, so they're stuck in there until after I head off for work (at least so far, even with the sun rising a bit earlier each morning). The other coops are *ahem* left open right now (because I'm a lazy butt) and those chickens come out before the main coop door opens. They're mostly the junior crews, as the most senior chickens roost in the main coop. So the kids get the first jump on the fresh feed added to the feeders.

The kids also hang out until it's quite late - for chickens, anyway. I have come home lately with a tiny bit of light left, and again, the kids get the benefit of freshly topped off feeders after the older birds have all gone to roost in the main coop and that door is closed.

So far, this lazy way of managing my growing flock is working okay for me.

6. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:donot own one love to go out and check on them and check for food and water they are my babies lol

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

So yours is on a light sensor?? Can it be switched out to a timer easily? Then you could just set the time later, for after daybreak. That's what I do with mine, even though mine only exit into the run until I get out there to let them out for ranging.

8. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    We too go back to the manual way in the winter [​IMG] Often our motor will quite running when it gets too cold out.

9. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

What auto doors are you guys using? May I ask how much they cost?

I lost some hens last summer, and I don't want to have a repeat of that drama this summer! I have only found auto doors that cost about $180 each - and I have three coops!!!

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    The one thats advertised here on BYC its around 79 dollars.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by