Disappeared fluff butts

Hennyfromdblock

Songster
Sep 15, 2021
Hi everyone. About half an hour ago What I thought was the egg song turned out to be my momma hen stressed and calling to her chicks ( 5 1mo old). I couldn’t find them anywhere, no trace of mom putting up a fight , our privacy fence doesn’t have any signs of digging under, in my area I have never seen any kind of bird that could possibly prey on them.

I called out to them by shaking a bottle with scratch in it which they always run to. I was washing dishes and the kitchen window has direct view to them. It’s like they disappeared in a blink!

I do remember last year though same momma cried out alerting the chicks cause she seen a balloon that got caught in the tree branches. They ran and hid under the shed, but she called them out and they ran to her, then after that they would just hang out there, sometimes wouldn’t come out for a while. These chicks have been alerted before when the neighbors dog barks , they run under a patio chair or the slide and sit still and they have been under the shed but don’t last long. I did check under and didn’t see anything. Our shed is lifted enough to view what’s under, still with a long stick I tried moving whatever leaves where around.

Any ideas on what could possibly happened?
They’re so fluffy it’s hard to miss them when you go out. I even thought what if someone jumped the fence (I’m always paranoid) and stole them, but I would’ve noticed someone jumping. And then I thought Hopefully they’re hiding somewhere new and I just haven’t found the spot, but mom is pacing all around the shed calling out to them making me think she hears them. If not she wouldn’t be calling out right? It’s just weird how all 5 at the same time went missing.

Hi everyone. About half an hour ago What I thought was the egg song turned out to be my momma hen stressed and calling to her chicks ( 5 1mo old). I couldn’t find them anywhere, no trace of mom putting up a fight , our privacy fence doesn’t have any signs of digging under, in my area I have never seen any kind of bird that could possibly prey on them.

I called out to them by shaking a bottle with scratch in it which they always run to. I was washing dishes and the kitchen window has direct view to them. It’s like they disappeared in a blink!

I do remember last year though same momma cried out alerting the chicks cause she seen a balloon that got caught in the tree branches. They ran and hid under the shed, but she called them out and they ran to her, then after that they would just hang out there, sometimes wouldn’t come out for a while. These chicks have been alerted before when the neighbors dog barks , they run under a patio chair or the slide and sit still and they have been under the shed but don’t last long. I did check under and didn’t see anything. Our shed is lifted enough to view what’s under, still with a long stick I tried moving whatever leaves where around.

Any ideas on what could possibly happened?
They’re so fluffy it’s hard to miss them when you go out. I even thought what if someone jumped the fence (I’m always paranoid) and stole them, but I would’ve noticed someone jumping. And then I thought Hopefully they’re hiding somewhere new and I just haven’t found the spot, but mom is pacing all around the shed calling out to them making me think she hears them. If not she wouldn’t be calling out right? It’s just weird how all 5 at the same time went missing.
I would check the other side of your privacy fence.Perhaps they found a small enough hole and got out.

I would check the other side of your privacy fence.Perhaps they found a small enough hole and got out.
Turns out they were all under the shed after all 🙃 I was about to peek over to my neighbors when I heard a peep and mom went crazy like she was scolding them. They just walked to the feeder like nothing. I feel much better now 😅.
0B79A895-0A18-4358-B8D4-C2388A26A65B.jpeg
E81816CD-CCAE-40E3-9B06-064A59885999.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom