disappearing chicks :-(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by susilawm, May 18, 2011.

1. susilawm

susilawm New Egg

Apr 23, 2011
    We have our remaining 4 chicks and mother hen in what seems to us to be a very secure coop! For the last several days we have gone out and found two chicks missing..no sign of them anywhere?? We had 6 chicks.

We are heart sick..we don't know what in the world could be happening...Is it possible a snake if crawling under part of the coop and getting in? Would they only get one chick at a time over two or three days?

Help please!

2. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    Have you looked through the bedding and nest to see if there was a dead chick? I've had that happen.
    How old are the chicks? If they are day olds -- Sorry to ask -- maybe Mama?
    Are there holes anywhere??

Sorry,
    Dale-Ann

3. susilawm

susilawm New Egg

Apr 23, 2011
    Thank you for your response..

We did look through the bedding...and we checked for holes...it's such a mystery???

The remaining 4 chicks are in a big tub now, in our bathroom inside..all safe.

They were born April 29th...still small but not new borns...they all appeared very healthy and active and have a great, protective mommy hen.

Thanks again!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So sorry for your loss, last year thank goodness we didn't have chicks yet but I went in to stir the bedding in the coop [I use deep litter method] and was using the pitch fork when I scooped up a huge black snake from under the shavings. I couldn't even see it so you can imagine how surprised I was when it came out on the pitch fork, about a 5' one too, so they can get into the coop and hide under the bedding, could this have happened. I have also caught them eating an egg before so would think they would get one chick at a time. sorry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by