Disappearing eggs here too. *Update found culprit, how to get rid of.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jferlisi, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So its started on friday, i had an egg disappear from under a broody, and posted on here on was told she most likely ate it so i was like ok whatever. Well this morning i went and let out my chickens and there was one egg in the boxes and i left it cause i figured i would collect them all at once. Well when i got home from work there where no eggs in any boxes and the egg i left disappeared. There has been a crow sitting on the fence by the coop lately so do you think thats what's taking them? Also how to prevent this?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Can a crow pick up an egg?

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The crow could take them though I'd be looking for a snake or rat myself. Or maybe even a dog...I just recently got rid of 2 egg-sucking pups...they'd steal any egg within their reach.

4. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Yep, I have two dogs that will walk right into the coop, pick up an egg, and walk out. we either have to partially block the door to a chicken sized hole, or check for eggs very frequently..... (But they are otherwise wonderful with all of my free-ranging babies...)

5. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Its not my dogs cause they cant get into the run. I have a small chicken door in the run for them to get out and into the run. If it is a snake or rat what should i do to stop them?

6. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I had that problem last year a couple of times. One time it was a snake, it was captured and disposed of. the second time it was a coon. It had found a place in the run that it broke into and it just stole the eggs. It never touched my chickens. I did catch it and dispose of it also and haven't had the problem since. But spring is just around the corner so I don't wnt to toot my horn.

When I discover missing eggs I first look for a snake. s soon as I hear the egg song I go to the coop and collect the egg and walk around to look for the other collector. When found it gets disposed of. I believe relocation doesn't wok because it will come back. It knows where a meal is. Plus the only means I have of relocating is shovel and a shotgun. I don't own any live traps and i'm not touching a snake with anything that doesn't have a long pole attached. [​IMG]

7. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Do you think snakes are around this time of year? It's still sometimes in the 30's here, do they need nice weather to be....alive and slithering?

8. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:I live in southern california so its not that cold. Everyone around us has 5 acres or more, so its dirt everwhere.

9. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ok i found out that its a crow that is taking the eggs. I had today off so i have been keeping an eye out and there is a crow that has been hoping all over the coop and took two of my eggs. I didn't take them cause my nephew just got here and he likes collecting them. In the 15 minutes of me seeing them in there to my nephew getting here and collecting them 2 of the 3 eggs where gone and there was egg yolk on the top of the boxes. How do i prevent the crow from getting them.

10. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    shoot the crow [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by