disappearing eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by igotchickens, Jan 25, 2011.

1. igotchickens

igotchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    It's already happened at least 3 times, that I know of. I'll go check on my chickens, and will see an egg or two. Then I'll go back to the house for treats for them, or will decide to grab the eggs later on (hopefully to stimulate more laying) and then the egg is gone (or reduced in number)! The last time it happened was last night. I went up (it was dark) to go make sure they were all safe in their coop, and saw (through the side) a brown egg on the ground. I decided I'd just get it in the morning, so as to not disturb them by going in their coop. Well this morning, DH went up to check on them and came back with a white egg! Not even in the same spot the other one was. I know eggs can't change color from brown to white or vice-versa. So someone or something is taking my eggs! I doubt somebody is going in our coop to take one egg. It must be some kind of animal. I don't think it's my chickens because there are no signs of shell, nothing. It's just completely gone. Could be snakes, but my chickens have never gotten hurt and I've never actually seen a snake... or raccoons, for that matter. Doesn't mean they're not there, I know... Anyone else ever have this happen? My chickens have never been injured and we've never seen any wild animals anywhere on our property other than rabbits.

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    How odd [​IMG] Any chance someone could be sneaking in?

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Rats perhaps??

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Will rabbits eat the eggs?

5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I would be checking my chickens 3 times a day and take out the eggs as soon as you see them. This way whatever or whoever is taking them will not be getting so many and maybe it will stop. No eggs, no reason to stay around. Let us know how you make out.

6. cochinfan

cochinfan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    Pinky - I think the only rabbits that will take eggs are Easter Bunnies! They don't eat them of course, they color them and delivery them on Easter.

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    So I think it's safe to mark the rabbit off the suspect list then.

8. igotchickens

igotchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Haha, well, no need for the rabbits to color my eggs! I have green, cream, brown, tan and white! Maybe they figure it's saving them the work...[​IMG]
    Rats are definitely a possibility though, I thought we had mice in our barn because of the poop I've seen, though rats could be in there too. I highly doubt a neighbor is sneaking in to steal eggs in the middle of the night, or the day - some have disappeared in the day while I'm home! I'll have to fix it up against rats a little better...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by