disappointed and sad with Holderread's silver appleyards

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pastrymama, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pastrymama

pastrymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    back in june i received my first order from Holderread's. 5 WH, 5 SA and 7 magpies. first, my beautiful magpies, 6 of 7 end up being boys. at 5 weeks, i lost a harlequin and an appleyard, don't know why. every one else was fine. last week i lost an appleyard female, dead in the pen in the morning. a day or two later another appleyard female developed water belly extremely fast. she looked like a dog with bloat, poor thing. we put her down this morning. they are not even close to laying, only a bit over 3 months old. they are on waterfowl feed, fresh water daily, grass [​IMG] good golly, i did everything by the book and still end up with dead ducks. thinking i would rather jab a pencil in my eye than order ducklings again.

2. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    Sorry about you ducklings. I have started reading this thread to learn since I really want a couple of Silver Appleyard ducks. Hope the rest of your ducklings will be fine.

3. Jen C

Jen C Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    Oak Run, CA
    Sorry about your ducks. Hopefully you won't have any more losses. I would be concerned that the ducks were getting into something to cause this. Ducks are so inquisitive and tend to "taste" everything. It is not uncommon for them to ingest something poisonous. I have ordered from Holdrreads every year for the past few years and have been extremely happy with the birds. All have been very healthy. As far as getting mostly males on the magpies that is unfortunately just the luck of the draw sometimes. I ordered 8 penciled Indian Runners this year and ended up with 8 females. Now I really need a male!

4. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    x2

5. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    So sorry girl about your duck :( I didn't know they could get such a thing...

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast

X3 sorry you had such a rough duck start

7. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    x4

Have you contacted them to explain this to them? I think I would be, even if they can't/won't do anything about it, I still think they should be informed.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I'm very sympathetic because it is difficult to lose birds. However, and there is really no way I can think of to be really kind to say this: if you are losing birds that are over a month old, it is not a fault with the hatchery.

1 person likes this.
  9. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    I've found ducks to be extremely hardy. Way more so than chickens. I have to agree that it really couldn't in any way be Holderread's fault.

As already mentioned above, I would really look around they're area to see if there is any possiblity they could be getting into something they shouldn't.

I'm sorry you're having such trouble. I've had about the same luck with my chickens this year.

10. pastrymama

pastrymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    As I stated before, all the other breeds are fine. My muscovies, harlequins, magpies....it's just the appleyards. If they were "getting into something" they would have all eventually have gotten into this "something". I started combing my yard after the 2 went down at 4 weeks old and I found nothing. I did find a thread about another woman who had ordered appleyards from Holderreads and her males and females both developed water belly and died. She contacted them and was told that appleyards sometimes do not do well in certain environments. I don't buy it and neither did she. This is perhaps the reason that so few people are raising appleyards? I do not have an overabundance of animals on my property, so crowding is not an issue, filth is never an issue, always have fresh feed and water and never and pesticides. So I don't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by