Disappointed in Beaver County PA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by alexisexplainsitall, Jul 8, 2011.

1. alexisexplainsitall

alexisexplainsitall New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    Hello BYC Forum,

I'd like to say thank you to the website and its community, I've never run across anything so helpful when it comes to chickens!

I'm posting to say how disappointed I am that I am not allowed to have Chickens. I did so much research on this website and got so excited about building a coop and then I found out I am not allowed to have chickens at all! I joined today so I can update the Ordinances so no one else will be as upset as I am since my city wasn't listed here. Turns out where I live is zoned as commercial and I would need a minimum of 5 acres of land in order to qualify as a Hobby Farm in order to have chickens. I personally spoke to the Ordinance Officer and after I got off the phone I almost cried. I love my house and my acre of land but a part of me wishes I never moved to Center Township.

I hope if anyone else is reading this lives in Center Township / Aliquippa / Beaver County PA has called their Ordinance Officer first because the gentleman I spoke to says he recently made people get rid of their laying hens, he seems serious about enforcing his laws.

Thank you all and if there's anyway to change this I'd love to know - I doubt it because I'm zoned as commercial but here's hoping.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Skip the Ordinance officer. Talk to a city councilman about how to go about getting an ordinance change to allow 3 or 4 chickens and no roosters...that would be a start. Try applying for a zoning varience to allow them on your property. There are no guarantees though. Good luck.

3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

4. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Poppafrog

Poppafrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Horn Lake MS
    [​IMG]

6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Hollychic11

Hollychic11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Canonsburg PA
    [​IMG] I'm not to far from you in PA..I live in Washington County

8. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Can't help you on your problem, but welcome, and the above advice sounds good!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Good luck & I hope you can have chickens one day soon [​IMG]

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. I agree with dawg53. Also, if you can get other to help as well, things might get changed. It is worth a try. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by