Disappointed in Beaver County PA

alexisexplainsitall

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
Hello BYC Forum,

I'd like to say thank you to the website and its community, I've never run across anything so helpful when it comes to chickens!

I'm posting to say how disappointed I am that I am not allowed to have Chickens. I did so much research on this website and got so excited about building a coop and then I found out I am not allowed to have chickens at all! I joined today so I can update the Ordinances so no one else will be as upset as I am since my city wasn't listed here. Turns out where I live is zoned as commercial and I would need a minimum of 5 acres of land in order to qualify as a Hobby Farm in order to have chickens. I personally spoke to the Ordinance Officer and after I got off the phone I almost cried. I love my house and my acre of land but a part of me wishes I never moved to Center Township.

I hope if anyone else is reading this lives in Center Township / Aliquippa / Beaver County PA has called their Ordinance Officer first because the gentleman I spoke to says he recently made people get rid of their laying hens, he seems serious about enforcing his laws.

Thank you all and if there's anyway to change this I'd love to know - I doubt it because I'm zoned as commercial but here's hoping.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Skip the Ordinance officer. Talk to a city councilman about how to go about getting an ordinance change to allow 3 or 4 chickens and no roosters...that would be a start. Try applying for a zoning varience to allow them on your property. There are no guarantees though. Good luck.

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom