Disappointed the Delightful Dozen tonight

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Linda in San Diego, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    For the past few days, after a couple of hours of "Chicken Time", when I was ready to head in the house, DH and I have encouraged the Delightful Dozen to enter the run/coop by giving a treat and herding them in.
    Tonight, I was outside reading when most of the DDozen began to put themselves to bed in the coop. But a few die hards remained out, watching us carefully and making some very disappointed sounds when they realized no treat was forthcoming. They entered the run and still had some sad sounds to let us know we had disappointed them. I told them they did not need dessert every night!

Edited for desert vs dessert "speeling" error!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    My chickens knowthe sound of something rattling in a can is the sound of food. /they learned this really quick. Lately, when I am trying to call my goats back to their kennel, I shake a can, so now I have nine chickens and two goats running towards me looking for treats. Even though I am trying to call my goats, i usually feel guilty, and have to give my chickies a treat too. they truly are worse than kids, er, children......

3. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I have really enjoyed watching my chickens become conditioned all by themselves. I don't let my 6 week olds out of the coop in the morning until the eat from my hands, jump on me, and pretend like they like me. Once outside - they ignore me like I have cooties all day because they'd rather play. So I insist on a little attention first thing in the AM. They've learned that once we're finished with the ME time, I open their coop door, so when I stand up, they all run to the chicken door and stare at it and scream until I open it.

Maybe yours will learn to really appreciate the treats and not take them for granted if they don't get them every night. Probably they'll just be irritated when they don't get them though [​IMG]

Penny

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Well shame on you! [​IMG] These chickens are definitely creatures of habit, aren't they?!?! [​IMG]

5. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Try having my flock of oh somewhere around 30 last i knew. They sit by the porch waiting until you come outside than attack you because they want a treat. The best time is when you are trying to bring grocerys in. I usually end up wit some in the house what fun it is trying to get them out. lol

6. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Quote:haha.. but that is great bonding time! I love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by