Disappointed

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by herfrds, Jan 23, 2011.

1. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    I was talking to DS last night. He had gotten all his grades above a D so we were pretty happy. [​IMG]
    We were discussing some things and he told me he was quiting band. Which surprised me because he sure loves pounding the drums.
    Asked him why and found out that a kid in the grade below him started bugging him and when he goes to defend himself this kid's friend jumps in and it is then 2 against 1.
    Band teacher has seen this.

Guess another call to the school tomorrow. *sigh*

I hate to see him quit because of a bratty kid. I know who it is because of a trip last year and know the friend too. Neither were nice kids on the trip and have some nasty attitudes.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I feel your pain on that one. My son has always loved music, instruments, anything to do with music, including writing. His high school band teacher pinned him against a wall with his hands around his throat and screamed at him how useless he was. I say WAS for a reason.

I took him out of public school and into a charter school for his last two years. He is now 21, in college full time seeking a degree in history, and an active member of a semi sucessful local band. Myspace.com - Cross to Bear.

Let him be who he is - maybe outside of school.

ETA: Many complaints were filed and the teacher eventually quit due to similar complaints from past employment.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  3. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    If you can, go visit the teacher in person. It may be more effective.

If any teacher grabbed my kid and said such toxic crap to him, there'd be he** to pay!!!

4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sounds like a CPS call to me. Children in danger, physical and mental abuse... not to mention filing assault charges. How do these people get hired?!?! [​IMG]

Being in band takes a lot of work, dedication, patience & time. If these two mongrels are the only reason he wants to quit then by all means tear them (and the teacher, principal etc) a new one. But if he's lost interest, but maybe doesn't want to own up to it/disappoint the teacher/family then it's possible he's using their crappy behavior as an out. Give the school a call, alert them, cuz if yours does leave they'll just find someone new to torment if they aren't stopped. And then have a good talk... better to finish the year and then move on to something more 'him' than to keep doing something that he's not really into anymore. DS was like that with band, but at his grade his only options were strings = boring and screechy. Sitting still and plucking (yes plucking, very little bowing in that year) just did not do it for him. He did finish out the year, finished his commitment, but then he moved on. That's what being young is all about, finding your niche. But also learning to keep your word when it's given. Not that you in any way indicated that yours is feeling that way, just throwing it out there as a JIC.

5. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    yeah.... I did the violin in HS... HATED IT!!! Got into alot of trouble in the class, to get kicked out of it, because my parents refused to let me quit.

6. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    He bought a drum set last spring. Only time we ever told him to stop playing was the night he got so into it and it was after 11pm.

I told him I hate the thought of him quiting because of a couple of jerks, but I know that when it is no longer fun he would grow to hate it.
    He is finishing out this year. Has gotten A's and B's in that class.
    Just a thought I am going to give him is to at least do next year. He would be with a completely different group, high school, and the bullies won't be there.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If he is moving from junior high/middle school to high school, will there be a different teacher? different band classes? I know that my sons high school has quite a few different band classes. When I was in high school there was only one band (plus marching band before school) and one orchestra class.

Do go talk to the teacher, and if he/she will not correct the problem and make the classroom safe for your son, then escalate it to the principal.

8. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    What about....going straight to the parents and telling them that you will press charges against their kid if anything happens again...bullying cannot be tolerated.

9. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Same teacher from elemetary to high school.
    Miss the first teacher we had, he didn't tolerate bullies and was the reason DS even started taking band. He made it fun for DS.

10. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope things get better for your son soon...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by