DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!1

aran

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 28, 2007
rochester ny
The "prison" coops have been breached...something got in last night i can only assume through the holes in the chainlink fences and killed all our babies except for 1 buff laced polish male and one cuckoo silkie ( these were the babies we hatched ourselves) and then got into the main alcatraz coop and killed several of the birds in there.

Now i have to replace these birds ( we are going to line each coop inside the fence with small hole chicken wire today) asap as these were my small son's birds:

1 black bantam cochin frizzle
1 RIW
1 white bantam cochin frizzle
1 ameraucana
1 salmon fav
3 BLP pullets
1 BLP cockerel
1 black white crested polish
1 white silkie
1 black silkie
1 cuckoo silkie

I will try and get these online at one of the hatcheries today...if anyone has eggs/chicks of these that they can spare please let me know asap.

aran

Sorry to hear that I don't have any of those eggs but someone will be along shortly that may. Again I'm sorry to hear about your babies.

aran....I am so sorry to hear of the breach..and loss. If you were closer...and could pick up...I have several on your list, I would be able to part with....
Black frizzle cochin ( and a rust color too)
Salmon Faverole
Black and white polish roo
Ameracaunas
RIR( not whites)

Again, I am so very sorry for your loss.

i'm so sorry! Do you have any idea what type of predator it was? What could squeeze through the holes in a chain link fence and do so much damage? Wondering if i need to fortify here. i have a chain link dog kennel surround on my pen, with hardware cloth up 3 feet around the bottom, then covered on top.

Hope you can replace your birds quickly. You could try mypetchicken.com, although i think they are sold out of silkies right now except for in their bantam assortment.

Again, so sorry.

Oh, no!

I wonder if it could be a weasel or a mink--are they skinny enough to squeeze through chain link?

You might want to skip the chicken wire and go with hardware cloth, which is sturdier.

I hope your son is not too sad.
sad.png

aran, I'm really sorry! How awful for you. Definitely go with hardware cloth, the 1/2" tough stuff. It's more expensive, but if you already have a predator, I wouldn't waste much money on plain chicken wire.

A weasel would definitely go straight through chainlink. Possibly 1" chicken wire too. So sorry for your loss, and your son's
sad.png
I agree with those who say go straight to 1/2" hardware cloth, you don't want to go through this again later!

Good luck,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom