DISASTER AT 6DAY TO HATCHING!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kim buckthorp, Feb 12, 2013.

1. kim buckthorp

kim buckthorp New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    I have six duck eggs in my incubator. All was going well with movements and heartbeats. Over the last few days the movement has got slower but today disaster struck. My toddler got into the incubator and fiddled with the temp. When I went back to the eggs they were baking at 50degrees. I am unsure how long they were like this for but I can't see any movement in the eggs. My question is are they able to survive this temp or is it probable that they have died. Please help.

2. animalsrock123

animalsrock123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
  3. Colourful

Colourful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    Oh no, that sounds awful. [​IMG]

I hope some hatch okay. Please update us to let us know how they are.

4. billof4

billof4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Mid-Mo
    Sorry to hear it . I chicken eggs when the inc blew a breaker . They were way down in temp as well when i found it and i still got about 80% hatch rate so there should deffinately be a chance. hope for the best.

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I was talking about what to do if your incubator lost power today and mine did. It wasn't out for long, and the bulb just got loose. was funny though. eggs are resilient so give it a try.

6. kim buckthorp

kim buckthorp New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    After the disaster with the temp I am worried. Am not far off lock down but should I still be able to see a heart beat and movement as I don't?!!

7. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    If you are saying you have 6 days to go before they hatch, the low temperature (50 degrees) won't hurt them at al. That close to hatching, the chicks/ducks produce some heat themselves. BUT, I'd stop checking to see if they are still alive - leave them alone (probably not what you wanted to hear). More chicks are killed by people "playing" with them. I've never seen a Hen with a light checking an egg or holding it up to her ear to hear a heart beat.[​IMG]

8. kim buckthorp

kim buckthorp New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    The temp was of low it was high it was at 50 degrees celsius not Fahrenheit so I was concerned that we cooked them not chilled.:/

9. kim buckthorp

kim buckthorp New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    The humidity has naturally risen in the incubator so I'm hoping this is a good sign

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    How unfortunate, its always a good thing to keep the bators high from the kidyos! I learned the lesson well! Good Luck and keep in touch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by