Disaster Averted-We got chicks and PICS!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Our two broody hens just hatched out a baby showgirl and immediately started pecking it and trying to kill it! We pulled them out of the cage pronto and i put a heat lamp on the little one. Some of the other eggs are chirping, so grabbed my incubator and plugged it in, and put the eggs in. i don't have a working hygrometer, just a simple thermometer. i am hoping i can get the eggs up to temp before the chicks die.

Oh my! i am in tears! i did not expect this at all.

Sorry, just needed to vent for a moment. Now back to trying to save those babies.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2008
  2. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    There is a way that you can get a wet bulb reading with a regular thermometer and a piece of cheese cloth. Look it up on the web exactly how to do it.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh gosh, no time for that. We have another egg pipping, but the incubator temp is only at 90. Just moved it into my husband's office with a heater pointed directly on it.

4. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    You could have left the eggs under the brrody and kept an eye on the broody till the eggs hatch.

5. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I would think you need to add water!

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Yes, i put warm water in, and it's nearing the right temp. One egg has pipped and its chirping. And here is the baby that survived the mad broodies.

[​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just don't over heat them in that bator with heater now. Don't worry about humidity this close to the end, they will hatch and automatically increase humidity for you. I dry hatch my chicks so it is possible.

8. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Be careful on the process of heating them up quickly that you dont over heat.

Good call on removing the chicks. Glad you were there. Dont worry about humidity to much, just add some water or mist.

Good luck.

9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Thank you for your advice. Have been heating up for the past three hours, and just now ranging between 99- 100 degrees and 51% humidity (finally found my thermohygrometer).

My little showgirl is peeping her head off, and only settles down when i put my hand in there for her to cuddle up against. Hope she has a buddy soon!

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    This is probably really stupid so dont laugh to hard, but I dont know what a showgirl is and.....that chick doesnt have any fuzz on her neck?! [​IMG] She is very cute though and glad you saved her. Boy I guess that hen is NOT maternal

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by