Disaster Averted

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Tala, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I have roughly 20 "young" Red chicks -- about 8 weekolds, except there are a few that are a week younger than the rest - two of them are Barred Rock pullets not exactly Reds, but they are a brooder group.
    Anyway, I have a feeder that is set up hanging inside a sawhorse with a tin roof over it, to keep the free range food dry.
    It's adjusted at what I thought was a good height for everybody to prevent waste, because the Red chicks were reaching it fine.

I was out putting ice in the waterers because of the heat this afternoon and heard a weird ruckus inside the sawhorse feeder.
    I found one of my BR pullets hanging by her "chin" from the feeder, flapping her wings and kicking her feet trying to get loose!!!!

She could barely reach the food, and got the loose-ish skin under her chin stuck on one of those "fingers" prongs that sticks out in the feed (to prevent waste??) in a feeder like this:

If I hadn't been there and found her, I bet the outcome would have been bad!!!!!!!
    Usually I have a homeade feeder in that particular location, that does not have the little plastic prongs, so I put that back in there.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

Lucky you were there!
  3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Oh, no! I am so glad you were there to see the poor baby and save it! Oh my, who would have thought!
  4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Oh my! I'll be sure to avoid that feeder!
  5. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Ouch! I bet her "chin" must of been sore after that experince.
    I hope all the other's are fine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by