Disaster day 14!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by donmhill, Oct 8, 2012.

1. donmhill

donmhill Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    Oh no, sometime last night the bulb went in my home made incubator :(
    Went to bed last night about 10:00 and it was fine then but my partner woke me up at 6:30 this morning telling me the light was out.
    I've never gotten out of bed so quick that early before. Luckily i was playing about with the light inside the brooder yesterday so i quickly put the eggs under that light until i fixed the incubator.
    What do you think the chance of them hatching now are? They were without heat for a maximum of 8 hours :( I candled them a few days before and everything looked good then (one even moved inside). Shall i candle them tonight but i don't exactly know how to tell if their gone or not :(

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    They should be O.K. don't worry! There was a member here who's incubator lost power for 24 hours and the chicks hatched out fine. The heat loss can cause them too hatch a bit later than anticipated though. So keep that in mind at hatch day.

3. donmhill

Sep 24, 2012
    Thanks very much. I hope my little babies are ok in there :) lol

4. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I think they will be fine. The incubator was insulated right?

Today I just got 3 lovely chicks hatch from under my Japanese Bantam. I was not expecting them to hatch - I now know the eggs are very tough things to kill!!!!

at about 2 weeks into the hen brooding them we had a huge storm and her nest flooded. In the morning I went in and saw her sitting in the cold water, eggs half under the water and cold under her.

I moved the nest and dried them. Thought they were dead, but would give them a chance.

Then a week later some cat go into the coop and frightened the hens, and the bantams nest box fell over and the eggs were scattered over the floor. I found them in the afternoon.........the eggs were cold to the touch. I then thought they would never hatch, but I put them back in the nest.

And now this morning a nice surprise of 3 healthy chicks running about in the run!!!!

So I hope you eggs will be OK, they can take a lot of abuse!!!

5. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    How many degrees did it drop? I had mine suddenly drop 5 degrees for no reason during lockdown on my last hatch, not sure how long it had been like that since it happened over night, but I still hatched almost all of the babies.

6. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    They will probably be fine! Fingers crossed for you! Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  7. donmhill

Sep 24, 2012
    Yes the incubator is insulated. I'm using a stryofoam box :)

8. donmhill

Sep 24, 2012
    And the temperature was 22.5 celsius this morning :(

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    What happened?

10. donmhill

Sep 24, 2012