1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Disaster ready?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by myminicooper, Sep 26, 2010.

1. myminicooper

myminicooper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    San Fernando Valley
    I live in southern California, near the Northridge fault. Earthquakes have been felt here since we moved in but nothing too significant, however everyone says "the big one is coming" so we are planning.

I saw a post about us being prepared for a disaster but what do I do w/ my chickens? I have 5 hens, mostly standards. But I'm wondering what others do or have planned for their chickens or other livestock in case of emergency. We have a cabin we can escape to in the mountains but I would have to build a structure for them. So here are my questions:

1. If an emergency situation happens and they get scared into hiding and I can't find them,but we need to leave the area do I just leave food and water for them and hope for the best?

2. Is there any safe way to transport them to help with stress?

3. Ideas on a quick to put together structure for them to live in away from home that is cheap and safe?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

In response to the first part of your post, we are supposedly 150 years overdue for the big one. I would like to know how they know that since the Richter scale is fairly new. I have lived in SoCal all my life, so the earthquakes just aren't a big deal.

Now the second part of your post. The only reason you should have to evacuate an area is if your home is unsafe to be in and if your home built after 1978, it is safe - mostly. You know where your gas shut off valve is? Where to turn off electricity? If all this still doesn't cover it, then I would make sure you have 50 lbs of feed for them. As far as water goes, we use two 40 gallon buckets for the goats and horses, when they only need one. In case of emergency the second one would be dragged into the coop.

Transporting chickens is stressful for them even if they are just going to a new home.

Chain link panels. We have 12 of them that are 7 feet tall and 4 feet wide. They unassemble and assemble really quickly with clips and clamps. If we had to leave it could be down and loaded in all of 15 minutes. That way if we are evacuated to a fair grounds, we could erect a small shelter for them and probably help someone else out too.

If you are REALLY worried about, visit the CalTech website for good information on obtaining, maintaining, and rotating out an earthquake kit.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Also an extra large dog crate, the wire kind, can transport them a hurry.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Yup! I have been known to stuff them in boxes when the need arises (flood once).

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    We have two large dog crates for emergency evacuation if called for. but we are more likely to shelter in place and we long ago decide that the weather hits serious stage the birds go into the garage and the cars go into the barn. Garage is more weather tight and probably sturdier.

6. myminicooper

myminicooper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    San Fernando Valley
    I'm also used to the quakes, however when we bought this house (built in 1951 and not been updated) 6 years ago the back wall which is mason was severely cracked and broken from the northridge quake. Gas is automatically shut off with movement and we do know where the water is, but my biggest fear is electrical fire since the wiring is so old and crappy (if something happens before we have a chance to update things). So I'm just trying to make sure I know what to do for my hens.

I have large waterers for them, and food always on hand and I really like the idea of the chain link panels. Do you have any sort of coop for them then or is it just open?

7. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I am so glad you mentioned this!!! I have a plan for us and our dog, but I didn't think about the chickens! Thanks for bringing it up! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by