Disaster strikes!!!

garngang

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
North Central Arkansas
I had quite an evening today. Before I begin this story I just want to add that not only do I have 12 chicks in the house but we also have a new puppy. So moving on I was already having a hard time with the pup....went back to check on my chickies and what did I find?? A bloody tail on one of my favorite girls! One of the others had been on the attack....the poor thing. I paniced but I got it handled. I went ahead and moved the other 11 out into the coop while the injured one is still inside. The coop isn't 100% finished but it will due for now. My one concern is the temps at night but I put the heat lamp out so we will see. I just wonder if what started all this was the fact that they were outgrowing their brooder? Is that a possibility? And how long shoulder I keep this one chick seperated from the others? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Yeah, boredom and overcrowding can lead to pecking.
How old are your chicks?
You should keep the injured chick seperated until it's completely healed or at least enough so that the others don't see a wound to pick on some more.

Last edited:
I just wonder if what started all this was the fact that they were outgrowing their brooder? Is that a possibility?

Yep that's a possibility. They were crowded or bored, or who knows
And how long shoulder I keep this one chick seperated from the others? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

You should keep the injured one separate until it heals. Chickens will peck at anything that looks different or interesting, but especially blood or scabs! You may be better off (less stress on the injured baby) if you put her inside something safe, like a dog crate or rabbit cage, or just a pen you make out of hardware cloth, so she can see the other chicks but not get pecked by them - chickens are social and hate to be alone.​

Since I also live in Arkansas, maybe I can help a little. How old are your chicks? the chicks I have outside in a coop are still using a heat lamp at night. Though the weather has been absolutely beautiful today, it's fixing to change. there are thunderstorms in the forecast, as well as temps dropping. Lows will be in the 40-50's by this weekend. As long as they don't get wet and you use a heat lamp at night, I think they'll do fine. Daytime temps should remain in the 70-80's next week.

Your isolated chick will definitely chirp from being alone. I had to separate one of my newborn chicks the other day and the little thing drove me crazy! He was so happy when I returned him to the brooder with the others.

Quote:
That's why I asked how old the chicks were. My chicks were outside from day one in early April. In a draft free coop with a heat lamp and a good amount of bedding, they should do just fine.

My chicks are somewhere around 4 or 5 weeks old. I got them at tsc and the co-op so I'm not exactly sure on this one. But they are nearly full of feathers! I have a heat lamp out there so they will hopefully be fine.
And yes the lone chick seems sad. If I made a little pin for her and then put her out with the others she will be fine? I feel so guilty for making her be alone. It wasn't her fault she was attacked!

I was surprised to see this because we came home to find a dead chick yesterday and I believe it was due to overcrowding, but that's been remedied now. So how do you keep them from getting bored? Our coop will hopefully be done this weekend. Do they kill each other off it they know one is sick? And can they suffer post traumatic stress after one has been killed cuz our one gal is very quiet and keeping to herself now and I'm not sure if it's trauma or she's getting sick...I think I'll separate her for awhile. They are also a month old at this point and this is the first we've had any problems.

add in more roosts or things for them to perch on, etc.

overcrowding/boredom definitely leads to feather picking and pecking.

if you move them to a bigger space and put more roosts in they should be fine.

don't put the one back in until she is healed. chickens will peck an injured chicken to death.

garngang, If they were my chicks I would start weaning them off that heat lamp now. It's been in the 80s here during the day and I'm assuming you are not much cooler up there. Heat lamp at night for another week or so and they should be good to go.
If you could fashion a small pen for the lone chick and put her where she can see the others, but they can't pick on her sore spot she'd probably appreciate it.
If you have a lone chick that you absolutely have to keep seperated, try giving them a stuffed animal, a small hand mirror or (these work great) a clean feather duster for company.

Thanx...the one that's acting funny now isn't injured from what I can tell she's just acting distance from the rest and kinda depressed.

Back
Top Bottom