Disaster Stuck today. :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KinderKorner, Apr 21, 2009.

1. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Wahh. i have one coop built as a broody house. It has a wall down the middle that is 2ft high, and has a plywood top. And a little screen door.

This way I can keep older chicks on the bigger side, which also has a run, and they can jump on top of the little brooder.

Anyway, My 7 week old chicks dug under the wall, and some of my 1 1/2 week old chicks got into the other side. Well I was feeding the big chicks some treats this afternoon. And I realized some weren't coming out of the coop. So I went around and peeked in. There were 3 little babies huddled in a corner, being pecked at by the older chicks. Then my two favorite polish babies, were dead on the floor. Trampled and pecked to death! [​IMG]

I manged to save the three others, which included my very most favorite chick. But I was too late to save my baby polish's! wahhh. It had to be my sliver and buff laced babies. This was my second time ordering them. The first time they were all dead in shipment.

Why is it always the special, or your favorite pets that something bad happens to them. I'm extremely happy that I saved my favorite BLRW chick. But I am heartbroken about the other two.

By the way, I dug under the wall and buried some boards. When I checked on them about an hour later. The older chicks were still trying to dig under.

Also this group of older chicks is very agressive. Never had mean chicks like these. One bit me today, and drew blood. They fly at you, jump out when you open the door. Peck at you while your feeding. Gr! It's so obnoxious!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Dang. Sorry for your loss.

Hang in there, this too shall pass.

3. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    If those mean chicks were mine, we would be having Cornish Game Hens for dinner - if you get what I'm saying.

Doug

4. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    As much as I was mad about my mean young chicks. I can't do anything about it. I spent well over $100 on them. So that would be one expensive meal.

I just don't understand. I have several chickens of the same breeds, from the same place. And they have never been agressive like this before. It's weird.

I actually do feel a little bad. One of the older chicks grabbed a hold of a chick so I reached down to take it away and it bit me. Leaving a mark and drawing blood, so instantly out of reflects I swung at it. And it got knocked into a wall then fell down. I didn't hit it really hard. And I didn't mean too. But I feel really terrible now. At least it's not hurt or anything. But still.

I wonder if there is something causing them to be agressive. Even since they were little they have been this way. It was a light brahma pullet that bit me!? They are usually so calm, and sweet. I'm just confuzed. I haven't done anything differently with them then all my other chicks I get or hatch. And I go and sit with them, feeting them treats and 'trying' to pet them nearly everyday. I just don't get it.

5. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    I'm sorry about your babies. I don't think you can ever prepare yourself for that.

I think chicken behavior may be contagious. I have two 12 week old EE's that I got and clearly hadn't been handled by humans because they are very wary of me. I have since put 2 RIRs in there that I held and could pick up any time. It's only been a week and wouldn't you know it, now the RIR's run from me and hide. I think they learned from the other 2 to be afraid.

Did you ever think about taking out the Alpha of your older group for an extended amount of time and seeing if dynamics change? You may just have a nasty ring leader.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That behavior is the reason I sold my first batch of Delawares, the progeny of hatchery Dels. They were vicious and flighty. The batch of breeder quality ones I am raising now are awesome, exactly what a Delaware should be. Some lines/strains of breeds should just not be propagated.

7. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    It's very hard to tell which is the leader currently. There is about 25 black and white chicks all running around and biting and flapping their wings. And not jsut anyone seems meaner than the rest. Infact the cockerals are pretty calm, it's the pullets who are going crazy.

Also yes. I will not being having agressive chickens at my house. I will try to tame them. But if they don't settle down soon they will find themselves a quick trip to the fair.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:I agree with this statement, I do that with my Wellies since they are not aggressive breeds but I had ONE chick that was downright aggressive and it was put down immediately. Ever since then, not a problem!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by