Disaster!

blumenmadchen

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2015
Ugh, my coop and run are a total disaster. We bought a prefab coop (disaster number one) that ended up being too small for our four chickens. But we have been making due since they have been free ranging some, have a huge run, get along fine, and sadly lost one chicken this fall. But we are in the PNW, and it has been pouring for weeks. My run is not covered (I keep trying things that are just not working out) so the run is a muddy mess. My girls don't seem to mind the rain and have been getting wet. The lousy coop 'may' be leaking (or it may not be ventilating well) so I have been trying to divert most of the rain away from it. The rain has been falling so hard that it bounces off the ground into the bottom of the coop so its moist down there too. And then we got our first snow last night (yah!). So not only is it wet and cold, but the snow brought down the netting that was over the run. The girls had still wet tail feathers (usually they dry off during the night) and I noticed some frost on the inside of one of the windows. Ugh, just ugh. I have made as much space as possible for them to get out of the snow/rain today (boards leaned against the house) but they don't stay under it, and everything is just so wet around here I'm not sure how much it matters. Not sure if I'm looking for advice, or just need to vent. Luckily the snow seems to have stopped so we should be able to get something worked out, and that I can convince hubby to let the girls sleep in the garage for tonight to let them and the coop dry out.

I don't know if the coop and run are attached or if they are close together or how big they are. But if its possible you could find or buy some galvanized metal roofing you could build a structure over the run and coop, that will divert the rain and catch snow.
Here is a pic i got from ok-corrals.com for an example

Last edited:
How big is your garage? How big is the pre fab coop? Is it the type with the tiny ity bity runs with the coop above? I've known people who have tractors that they over winter in the garage. Put a tarp down, layer it with some deep bedding (like hay- not straw- or shavings, or leaves) which you change out when it gets yucky, like in the coop. Then put the pre-fab on top, and the whole structure becomes a coop. If you can give them a bit more room buy building/moving a run add on onto the tarp as well (It doesn't have to be big or walk in- more of a upside down box with a chicken door kinda thing) They will appreciate it.
I know it isn't a permanent solution, but it should get you through the winter. Because garages are dark and you will have to add light anyway, they might even lay all through the winter. :) Then when it starts to warm up (or before then) you can figure out what to do about the coop.
I suggest you build a new one that is bigger (and has extra room for chicken math!) Look around BYC for examples of easy coops like re-purposed sheds, playhouses, dog houses, pallet coops, coops off off craigslist. Although I think building things is fun and exiting, not everyone thinks that too.
wink.png

Thanks everyone. We figured out at least a temporary solution. The run is 10'x30' section of our yard that runs alongside our house and butts up against the neighbor's yard. The coop is one of those tiny prefab deals with a mini run underneath that is just in the run up against the house. The run is bordered by the house and three sections of six foot chain link fence (which one of my EEs could clear easily, hence the netting).
Our temporary solution was to attach a tarp to the house (pretty secure with a one by three) over the coop that also covers a portion of the run. Its got a pretty good slope which should help with snow, rain and wind not building up. It covers the coop which should allow it to dry out and let the ventilation work better.
I had thought about moving the coop into the garage too, but there is absolutely no room and absolutely no way my hubby will let the girls back inside (if there are any other options). Also then I have no way to get them outside and they would freak out if they did not get to peck around the yard.
I had already planned to build a new coop from an old dog house in the spring and add some kind of permanent roof structure this spring. I just was not prepared for the disaster that was this morning.

Ok, glad you found a solution. :) I wouldn't have room in the garage either, by the way, and nobody would want them back since we just kicked the latest batch of pullets out. Fortunately, my coop is withstanding the weather, and so are the girls. Update us in on the dog house when you start working on it, yeah?

Back
Top Bottom