Disbudding baby goats ???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Catfishingpokey, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Catfishingpokey

Catfishingpokey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    can any one tell me the best way to disbud my little goats they are 2 days old and what i have heard is that is best done between 4 and 10 days of age.I dont have access to a disbudding iron and dont think i could have one shipped quick enough.PLus i have never done this before.i have dehorned lots of cattel but i am new to this goat thing.

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    It varies by each kid. We wait until the horn bud is the right size and the kid is 5 days old or older. I would say on average our bucklings are done around 7 days old, doelings at about 12 days.

If you haven't done a goat before, go find someone to give a lesson. My DH also had experience with cattle. There are similarities, but it's different enough that you can't just use your cattle know-how to do a goat.

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Yep cattle heads are harder than goats and its best to get someone to show you how or get the vet to do it and watch closely. Some vets will do it pretty cheap. then get a iron and get the best you can afford. When learning I did the wethers first to get the hang of it and then moved to the does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by