Discarded Rooster Hit By Car - Need Advice!!! - Update Page 3

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Thomas423, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    My father, who lives in Idaho, saw these 2 chickens on the side of the road yesterday. Today, the soft heart gave them food and water and took them home after work. Does the injured one have a chance?? What advice can you give Dad?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The non hurt one has not left the hurt one's side. I think they look like Leghorn roos.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Well if your dad is opting to keep the roo, then he needs to get it to a vet asap. If he doesn't want then I would have to say he needs to cull the injured roo. It is very sad to see the picture. i can see the care and concern on the uninjured roo. But it isn't fair keep a bird that is that injured and in pain any longer than necessary. If your dad has to try to help the roo by himself, then at the minimum would be to get an injectable antibiotic from the feed store and keep the wound clean.

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh that is so heartbreaking, I agree, I would take him to the vet or cull him. He looks like he's in a bad way. I'm sorry.[​IMG]

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    It's hard to tell from the picture how bad the injury is, but based on the roos behavior in the second pic, it seems questionable. I would recommend having your dad cut the feathers away from the wound and to clean it well with a diluted betadine/iodine solution (diluted in water to a tea color). Have him check the roo over well for other wounds. After cleaning the wound(s), plack it with neosporin (before using one with painkiller, check to make sure it doesn't use any -caine meds like lidocaine, etc as the -caine family is toxic to chickens. Side note..Neosporin does not use -caine's, so you can use neosporin with painkiller). If there seems to be any signs of infection, have him go to the vet supply or feed store to get penicillin or amoxicillin. Keeping my fingers crossed!! [​IMG]

His little roo buddy seems so concerned too. [​IMG]

5. Thomas423

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    Thanks for the advice. I've been trying to call him but he's probably outside with them. Please check back, because I'm sure that he will have questions. It looks like he is going to have a least 1 new pet. He thought that they were hens but after I looked at the pics, I'm sure rooster. I don't understand how people can be so mean to drop them off on the side of the road like that.
    What should he feed them until he can get chicken food? They were in a wheat field and I think that he got some wheat grains for them.
    I'm not sure if there is a TSC in his area. I'll have to do a search for him.

6. Thomas423

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    Closest TSC is in Montana. Anyone know of a feed store near Blackfoot, Idaho?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  7. Thomas423

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    Quote:Here is a closer-up pic: He has broken bones

[​IMG]

8. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    so sad [​IMG] .. they are beautiful!!

9. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:There's a ton in that area! (My family lives in Idaho Falls/Roberts area just up the 15). Here's a quick google list of several. There is also Mackay Livestock Supply (1961 Heyrend Way) in Idaho Falls.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  10. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    The one looks to be in a bad way. A shot penicillin might help, and hand feeding. Culling might be the best for the bird unless it is showing some kind of movement. Sure sad to see it in that way. I had a hen that got attack by a raccoon and it took me 2 weeks of hand feeding (with a syringe) and shots of penicillin to keep her alive. It's really he's decision. I hope for the best, good luck to your dad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by