discharge out of chihuahuas nipples

Pezzy12

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2020
Hello! My chihuahua mated 52/53 days ago, she had an ultrasound at day 28 and X-ray on day 44, both negative.

She did have some pregnancy symptoms over the last 3/4 weeks: Eating a ton, very low energy and sleeping most of the day, seemed more moody and was growling at her sisters when they walked over to her.

Now in the past 3 days she stopped eating a lot and seems to have a little more energy
She also started having a very small amount of yellowish discharge out of 3 sets of nipples and her mammory glads are a bit swollen but her nipples themselves are still small, normal size. She definitely doesn't look pregnant but she is also not skinny like she was prior to mating. She was 3.9lbs before and is now 4.5 pounds. I am worried she has a singleton pup in there and the x-ray missed it because the bones hadn't calcified yet, but I'm praying its just a false pregnancy. What do you think?

I'm thinking it's a false pregnancy. They are apparently fairly common. She should be back to normal soon. I doubt the vet would miss something on both an ultrasound and especially an xray.

Sometimes the dog will also nest and go into a false labor. Don't be alarmed.
I am hoping! The only reason I am doubting is because of what the vet said and what I have read online. When we had the ultrasound done at day 28 the vet said it was possible he missed it because she is so small. And with the x-ray, they told me skeletons can be seen by day 40 but every single piece of information I've seen online contradicts that and said between days 45-50 is when skeletons calcify, no where does anything say day 40. So I just have doubts about this vet.... even tho I know its probably false pregnancy !

I am hoping! The only reason I am doubting is because of what the vet said and what I have read online. When we had the ultrasound done at day 28 the vet said it was possible he missed it because she is so small. And with the x-ray, they told me skeletons can be seen by day 40 but every single piece of information I've seen online contradicts that and said between days 45-50 is when skeletons calcify, no where does anything say day 40. So I just have doubts about this vet.... even tho I know its probably false pregnancy !
Hmm, I would think you'd be able to palpate a puppy at this stage. Feel movement or something since she's so small. See if she'll let you feel her after a meal as that's when pups would be most active. I would think he'd still see something at 44 days so I'm still leaning false pregnancy. Stinky thing is symptoms of both are virtually the same.

Hmm, I would think you'd be able to palpate a puppy at this stage. Feel movement or something since she's so small. See if she'll let you feel her after a meal as that's when pups would be most active. I would think he'd still see something at 44 days so I'm still leaning false pregnancy. Stinky thing is symptoms of both are virtually the same.
Yeah that was my first thought. I have tried that several times, but after she eats because she is so small her stomach is bloated and harder , which makes it hard to really feel around in there because I don't want her to be uncomfortable. I mean, how would you like it someone was pushing on your stomach after you ate, haha! But if its one puppy it would be hard to feel regardless. It could easily be up in her ribs unable to palpate , so its not a good way to tell. I definitely also think false pregnancy, I'm just worried if it isn't singleton pups don't always cause enough of a hormone change to stimulate labor so she could have one in her and I would never know until it was too late

Yeah that was my first thought. I have tried that several times, but after she eats because she is so small her stomach is bloated and harder , which makes it hard to really feel around in there because I don't want her to be uncomfortable. I mean, how would you like it someone was pushing on your stomach after you ate, haha! But if its one puppy it would be hard to feel regardless. It could easily be up in her ribs unable to palpate , so its not a good way to tell. I definitely also think false pregnancy, I'm just worried if it isn't singleton pups don't always cause enough of a hormone change to simulate labor so she could have one in her and I would never know until it was too late
The only thing I can advise is bring her back to the vet (or a different vet) to be sure if you're worried.

The only thing I can advise is bring her back to the vet (or a different vet) to be sure if you're worried.
I wish i could. They are only seeing emergent patients, I had to BEG to get her that X-ray!

Back
Top Bottom