1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Discoloration and sandpaper eggshell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by French Cat, Feb 22, 2014.

1. French Cat

French Cat Hatching

Feb 22, 2014
    My Ameraucana is laying an egg with discoloration on one side. The shell is also rough at the same place. It's hard but week if I press gently on it, it will break. Any Idea what can be the cause?[​IMG]

I have 10 other hens and they lay nice eggs.

Thank you for your help[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Songster

Aug 4, 2013
    An oops with the calcium in the egg making process. Is she a new layer or did she just start back up? Either way it is nothing to worry about.

3. French Cat

French Cat Hatching

Feb 22, 2014
    She started laying last fall and the eggshell "problem" started suddenly a few weeks ago.
    Hopefully it will go back to normal.

4. slatts

slatts In the Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    I'm pretty new at this, but I see the occasional calcium bump on most of my eggs. Your pic shows a little more than what I see, but not sure that you have any cause for concern. I'd only be concerned if you had a hard time cracking it!!! ha.

5. French Cat

French Cat Hatching

Feb 22, 2014
    Ha thank you I am reassured. I am new it's my first year with my chicken and I am always worry with any change. There is always a new ''challenge of the week'' happening with my coop or hen. I'm learning a lot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by