Discolored earlobes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by littlechick2000, Oct 4, 2016.

1. littlechick2000

littlechick2000 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2015
    South Carolina
    my hen's ears are colored funny and I would like to know if it's a problem I need to look into. She's a very short Cochin. Her legs are very short I don't know if maybe this has to do with anything. She's not very active
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    How old is she?
    I doubt the leg length has anything to do with earlobe color.
    Is she your only cochin?
    She looks like a young pullet. Why do you think the lobe color is wrong?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  3. littlechick2000

Jul 25, 2015
    South Carolina
    She's 7 months old and she's one of 5 cochins I have. Two are frizzled and two aren't and Stormy(the one im talking about) was supposed to frizzle but didn't get the gene. The other cochins ears are all deep healthy red as are the rest of my chickens except one Turken but Stormy's are kind of yellowish

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Unless laying is imminent or already happening, the earlobes, comb or wattles won't be dark red.

5. littlechick2000

Jul 25, 2015
    South Carolina
    She should be laying already. I haven't singled her out from the other three hens in her pen but my rooster mates with her a lot I don't know if that help you tell. All of my hens except my California white and my American game hens are laying. One of my American game should be laying but hasn't for about a month. She's still young so I know it's not age but I haven't pushed it. I assume it's diet and plan on getting oyster shells for her soon

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's time of year. Declining day length vs. increasing day length.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by